U guys have any issue with Anchor blocks?

xtreem3d

LawnSite Senior Member
Building some planters, get the base down, move on to next row, split a step block for the corner then set the next flat face Hampton stone in place and it is 1/8" higher than the corner (step) piece. Every step block was cast that way, just pisses me off..now we will just use step blocks for the planters .U guys have any issues with anchor like that?

bigslick7878

LawnSite Senior Member
I have had similar issues with another large and VERY reputable company that shall remain nameless.

Try doing a 10 foot high 700 square foot wall with blocks that are off, even a tiny bit. Loads of fun.

OP
xtreem3d

xtreem3d

LawnSite Senior Member
Once your into a wall that size i guess your forced to shim it or grind down what you can. It's so frustrating because there's so much labor going into the project and mfg's should realize it but probbaly don't. I couldn't help myself after today, i had to contact Anchor and ask what 's going on, hopefully hear back on Monday,
Steve

DVS Hardscaper

LawnSite Fanatic
Depends on which side is out of level.

Example - Keystone block is a vertical system. Meaning the block has no batter. Therefore the back of the block is purposely 1/16th of an inch lower.
So when the wall is complete, the cap will NOT be level. If the back is low, this actually makes the wall Stronger and is a good thing and there is no need for shimming.

Posted via Mobile Device

STL Ponds and Waterfalls

LawnSite Bronze Member
That's just BP they need some new machines or quality control. The owner is an ELK's member here in my town. I need to buy him a drink and tell him what's up, but that probably won't matter.

Hampton alway's seems to be out of wack and pennies are your friend.

DVS, these are the lip blocks.

OP
xtreem3d

xtreem3d

LawnSite Senior Member
I had to use pennies today to get it right..how embarrasing , luckily it's Sunday and the plant is on standstill. Whatta' ya think the customer thinks when your digging through the change in your pocket to build a wall :hammerhead:

SVA_Concrete

LawnSite Senior Member
we cut shims out of the plastic strapping that comes on our block to use if needed.

Red Shed Landscaping

LawnSite Member
Almost every type of block we use vary in heights by 1/16 to an 1/8 from block to block. I use keystone blocks. They must have a few different molds that are not the same and is real annoying so now we just grind every layer of blocks so the next couse sits flat and to keep it level.