Under deck paint peeling

OP
D

danell10

LawnSite Senior Member
When factories pump out machines at the pace they have been, then quality goes down. My new scag has bubbles on top of the deck in the new paint.
It's a damn shame we pay big money for machines that begin falling apart in the first few months. I have some chipped paint on the top of my Toro deck now, too.

We could buy a good used car or truck for what we pay for a good new mower.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
It's a damn shame we pay big money for machines that begin falling apart in the first few months. I have some chipped paint on the top of my Toro deck now, too.

We could buy a good used car or truck for what we pay for a good new mower.
My scag cost as much as my wife's 2001 convertible mustang I bought her 7 or 8 years ago.

Integrity-LC

LawnSite Member
Wow, I'm in Michigan, near Saginaw, and our soil doesn't have sand anything like that. My decks haven't looked like that until 8-10 years.

I have a hard time believing a deck would keep paint under it after 10 years. How many hours of use are we talking here?

OP
D

danell10

LawnSite Senior Member
I have a hard time believing a deck would keep paint under it after 10 years. How many hours of use are we talking here?
300-400 per year The machine was a 2008 model, and I believe the powder coat and baking were done well on that machine. I expect the undercoating to slowly peel and chip off, but not after only 100 hours of use.

Larry Schultz

LawnSite Member
300-400 per year The machine was a 2008 model, and I believe the powder coat and baking were done well on that machine. I expect the undercoating to slowly peel and chip off, but not after only 100 hours of use.
I had a Bad Boy 61 Outlaw 2013 yr I bought it and the paint started flaking off of it all over. One thing I did not like about just sold it and bought me a Ferris 61" cut. Will see how it holds up.

OP
D

danell10

LawnSite Senior Member
I had a Bad Boy 61 Outlaw 2013 yr I bought it and the paint started flaking off of it all over. One thing I did not like about just sold it and bought me a Ferris 61" cut. Will see how it holds up.
I don't blame you! It's hell to spend a lot of money on something and see it falling apart the first year.
Good luck with your new machine!

Top Forums