1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

under walnut trees

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by east sooke man, Dec 14, 2007.

1. east sooke man

east sooke man LawnSite Member

I need to plant some shrubs under a walnut tree, no irrigation, and I seem to remember that they have a natural growth inhibitor around the base of the tree. Anyone have experience with what will grow under a walnut up to zone 8?

2. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

You are right about the inhibitor, but I don't know what you can use to mitigate it or what plants tolerate it.

Do you know Kenney Nickerson Design, an architect in Sooke? He is originally from my area and I have done landscape design work on a few of his very nice seaside home designs.

3. PaproskiLandscaping

PaproskiLandscaping LawnSite Member

4. wurkn with amish

wurkn with amish LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for that link.

5. east sooke man

AGLA I haven't crossed pathes with Kenney to date, I generally work with two or three landscape architects rather than with the designer himself. This area is booming right now and there seems to be too many designers/architect to keep track of.

6. east sooke man

Paproski, thanks for the link, good info

7. Ferris3100BB

Ferris3100BB LawnSite Member

that's a very useful link