Underground cable install — how did they do it?

Discussion in 'Professional Discussions' started by Delmarva Keith, May 5, 2019.

1. Delmarva Keith

Delmarva Keith LawnSite Senior Member

The underground cable drop at my house died and Comcast had to run a new one from a different location, completely different direction so there’s no way they could have used any sort of existing conduit or whatever. I was away when they did the install. Run was about 100’ total under a concrete driveway, turn a corner, under a long dense row of trees (and roots), turn another corner, under some nice turf, a well manifold, various pipes and wires, under a planted landscape bed and to the house.

I got an email notice that they did the work and I expected to return from my trip to see a trench or at least a cut in the turf, repaired pits for the under the driveway leg, disturbed mulch in the beds, etc.

That anything was done was undetectable. The only clue that anything was done at all was a small wet, muddy spot right next to their box at the street. I’m guessing some sort of water jetting underground. I’m itching to know what kind of machine can do what they did and if it’s something that could be used for irrigation pipe or wire. Anyone know?

lawnboy647 likes this.
  2. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

Some of those companies use directional boring..
    Did you get Fios?

Delmarva Keith likes this.
  3. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Fanatic

that sounds like a bore to me.

Delmarva Keith likes this.
  4. Cjames808

Cjames808 LawnSite Member

For a house line? Ez trencher. May only be 2” deep.

5. OP
    OP
    Delmarva Keith

No Fios. Just plain old coax.

6. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

Your lucky it got buried at all. If it was this county they would just lay on top of the ground. I asked why they did this and was told that the liability from trenching was too much for Comcast to handle.

7. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Platinum Member

8. OP
    OP
    Delmarva Keith

Definitely not a trencher. Would’ve shown in the turf. I’ve used a sharpened flat shovel to cut turf at a 45 angle and slide a wire in the gap, immediately placing the turf back down and then watering. Leaves barely a trace but does leave a faintly detectable “something happened here” line in the turf for a week or two. The job they did left no trace.

9. OP
    OP
    Delmarva Keith

I also think it had to be some sort of boring machine or directional drill but never seen one for small lines. The water had me thinking maybe some type of waterjet. Do they make such things for small wires or pipes?

I watched the power company run their lines a while back with huge Vermeer horizontal boring machines but I’m curious if there’s a mini that could do sprinklers.

10. OP
    OP
    Delmarva Keith

Not much to see. It looks like a yard next to the house with no evidence of anything happened but the temporary surface line is gone and here I am on the internet so they got it underground somehow.