Underground cable install — how did they do it?

Discussion in 'Professional Discussions' started by Delmarva Keith, May 5, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    Delmarva Keith

Delmarva Keith LawnSite Senior Member

I spoke with one of the managers who came by a while back to see what was needed (burial request was rejected twice by two different crews who showed up to “walk the line” — they said too long and too many obstacles) and I told him if a crew would get it under the driveway, I’d bury the rest of the line. I guess the gauntlet was thrown and they did the whole line with no visible trace.

2. Ron Wolfarth

Ron Wolfarth Sponsor

Is it possible the problem was in the line before it got to your property and they ran a line from another drop to your line and used your existing line the rest of the way?

1idejim, Delmarva Keith and KerbDMK like this.
  3. KerbDMK

KerbDMK LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you sure that anybody actually buried a cable? Maybe they found the problem at the box.

Delmarva Keith likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Delmarva Keith

Positive it was a new line. After I verified with the initial tech that the old line was disconnected on their end to avoid any back-feed zapping something or someone, I connected my Armada and did the business. The old line went around the back of the house, around the entire back yard, to the front on the other side of the house and down the street in the opposite direction to a different box two doors down (my house was one of the earlier ones and with empty lots between, that must have been the easiest way at the time to get a line in avoiding the driveway issue).

The break was under the edge of a patio where some idiot installed a new sprinkler lateral buried right along that side to water plantings just beyond the patio (guess who that idiot was :oops: :hammerhead:). Never marked in numerous prior locate calls so the idiot in question went to town installing that lateral with impunity. The idiot in question, oh I mean me :(, offered to show one of the subsequent techs where the break was and he declined because their policy is end to end new line (also If they dug up the old line to try to repair it in some way, there would have been some sign of new digging somewhere — I (now) know where it was and no disturbance along its route).

New line connects to the repeater (or whatever Comcast calls it, it’s a repeater) in front of my house. Only way to get it to the ground rod (another requirement, must go first to where the electrical service entrance ground rod is located) is under the driveway and so on as described.

There was evidence of underground work and water use at the repeater in the front (like a spot about as big as my shoe) but no where else.

5. OP
    OP
    Delmarva Keith

Positive. As above, old line, er, shall we say became nonfunctional, about midway in its run. New line from a different source.

KerbDMK likes this.
  6. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

I'm sad this thread has gone 2 pages and not a picture of the "amazing/magical unicorned pulling machine".

I found this yesterday @ a customers house. He had no idea cause he doesn't go in the backyard often.
    LOL..
    IMG_4249.PNG

Lolerskates

1idejim, Delmarva Keith and hort101 like this.
  7. On a call

On a call LawnSite Gold Member

Here they hire moles

Delmarva Keith likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Delmarva Keith

I’m starting to wonder if they did some sort directional bore or mole under the entire length of the driveway and avoided the turns, tree roots, turf, etc., altogether. At this point I’m curious enough that next rime I see a Comcast crew I have to ask them — “how the heck do you do that?”

9. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Just call Comcast and ask to speak with a manager.

Delmarva Keith and hort101 like this.
  10. On a call

On a call LawnSite Gold Member

keep us posted

Delmarva Keith and hort101 like this.