Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was thinking about aereating my lawn today, and when i woke up this morning i remembered that we have an underground fence, its about 2 inches down and was wondering if i should just go over it, or go around it, but if i do go around it will it leave a less green stipe next year? thanks

·
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel
4,830 Posts
An underground fence should be deeper than that. I do a lot of lawns that have them and I set the aerator for 2" and haven't hit one yet. The only place they should be less than 3 or 4" is where they cross the driveways, they have to bring them up and they put the wire in a slit in the black top or concrete. I stay about 16" away from that area. Call the company that installed it and ask how deep they put the fence, or did you put it in?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i put it in with a walk behind edger, im not sure how deep it was set though, it was a few years ago.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Play it safe, just stay away from the area where the wire is buried.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
They're not as smart after they go near this underground fence!! They're talking about a wire buried around the perimeter of the yard that sends a current to the little doggies neck when he tries to go outside of it. Its so you don't need to put up a fence around it. Its a good way of training them to stay in the yard If you don't have time I guess. The learn eventually not to go near the border.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Stay away from the fence, last year I had to replace electrical wire across the front of a yard to the ends of both drivways that wasn't more than 3" down.Was not a happy day.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Karl, the dog is not electrocuted! There is a reciever on the dog's collar, and when he gets within 4-5 feet of the underground cable, he gets an audible warning. He learns quickly that if he proceeds further he gets a little shock.

The fence usually works pretty good, but I saw one incident that made me wonder about its effectiveness. Apparently the dog had chased something so interesting out of his yard, that he wasn't stopped by the noise or the shock. But then he wanted to go back home, and he couldn't get into the yard without being shocked. Was pitiful seeing poor dog pacing all around his property, trying to get back home without getting shocked.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
I work with a guy that used to put these things in and he told me that if you want to locate them (and you dont have the collar in your hand) you can use an AM radio set about 550 which will be static. When you walk close to the line the static increases which can help you mark it. I never tried it.

The only way I would do a yard with one is to have the homeowner mark it and then sign my contract stating he does not hold me liable for any damage if I hit it or any other underground obstacle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.