• CA Lessons: Landscaping To Reduce Wildfire Risk
    While there are no ways to fireproof a property, there are strategies to design and maintain landscapes for reduced vulnerability. Click here to learn more.

UNDERSTANDING % OF SCU OF AN FERTILIZER ANALYSIS

ant

LawnSite Silver Member
i looked at a bag of 32-5-7 25% scu (#007532)
on the label it read "7.20% slowly available nitrogen from lesco poly plus sulfer coated urea" were do they get 25% scu at?
anthony

Prime Seasons

LawnSite Member
Anthony:

I believe it is something like this:

Lesco 32-5-7 has N breakdown of 30.1% urea, 1.1% Ammoniacal = 32% total. The scu is their trade mark poly coated scu (sulfur coated urea. Basically, this means an extended release of N to the lawn, ie a more steady & longer growth response.

$.02 worth

gus

OP
ant

ant

LawnSite Silver Member
gus: i understand what you are saying but,off the label were do they get 25% scu?

GroundKprs

LawnSite Bronze Member
Agree with Stone: 25% of N is SCU. Not only do you have to read the label, you have to analyze it, too. ;)

powerreel

Banned
Poly coated SCU isn't SCU. It is called POLYMER COATED SULFER COATED UREA, sulfer coated urea and polymer coated sulfer coated urea are two entirely different things. Poly coated SCU is SCU with a Polymer sprayed over Sulfer coated urea, hence two different release vehicles.

morturf

LawnSite Senior Member
regardless of the vehicle (pscu, scu, mbdu, ibdu) the label always says how much of the N is slowly available, then states the #'s of N slowly available too.

the analysis works like this:

35-5-7 (25% scu)
lets say you have 100#s of product.
35#'s is nitrogen
5#'s is phosphorus
7#'s is potassium
right.

of the 35#'s of nitrogen 25% of the 35#'s is scu meaning that
7.20#'s is scu. when you do the math it comes out to 8.75#s but with the percentage of N from the scu is also a variable. It is a little deceiveing for the companies to do this but they all do it this way.

morturf

LawnSite Senior Member
hen bits....cat litter.....filler. that is where the rest is. also there might be some traces in there, iron, sulfur. urea in straight form is only 46-0-0.