1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Understanding the value of your time.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KirbysLawn, May 11, 2002.

1. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Today when I arrived at one of my customers lawns another lawn guy was at the neighors home...already working in the lawn. He does 2 lawns on the street that are rentals.

During the process of doing my lawn I looked up and noticed he was fertilizing the lawn...by and!! I had to do a double take, he fertilized the entire lawn by scooping the fertilizer in a bucket, carrying the bucket around, scooping the fertilizer in his hand and shaking it onto the ground.

When I pulled off he was walking to the other lawn carrying the bag & bucket. I have a hard time understanding why someone would spend this much time when they could buy a spreader for $30 at Home Cheapo.

Strange...

2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i saw a guy do that one time also. hammered the lawn too(destroyed it)

3. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Now there's a real professonial at work. I wonder how he calibrates his hand for differents fertilizers. LOL

4. lawnstudent

lawnstudent LawnSite Senior Member

TJLC writes:

"I wonder how he calibrates his hand for differents fertilizers?"

Thats simple. He controls how far he spreads his fingers.

jim

5. RLS

RLS LawnSite Member

I watched my Dad fertilize like that all of my life. We had a fine yard. LOL I ain't about to do it like that now!!
    :D

6. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

i just finished plugging a lawn lady hand spread weed n feed on said she couldnt understand why she had so many dead streaks she been doing this for years lol i told her the year before it wasnt a smart thing to do she used to bags of 5k fert on a 4k lawn

7. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like they'll be calling you next time for work. :D :p