Unilock Richcliff Issue

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Posh, Apr 16, 2018 at 7:46 PM.

1. Posh

Posh LawnSite Member

I installed some Unilock Richcliff pavers, which come with a finish on them, and upon final compaction, I got a bunch of scratches and since there is a grain in them to make them look somewhat natural, the highest parts of the grain had the finish sheared off. I did use a protective pad. I contacted Unilock and the field rep hasn't gotten back to me yet. They look pretty bad when dry and look great when wet, so I was thinking that a high gloss sealer might work, but the Unilock rep seems to think it may accentuate the defects. The first pic shows them mostly dry and the second pic shows them wet after a rain. Anyone have any advice on how I can get these to look a little better? Thanks in advance!

IMG_2701.jpg IMG_2712.jpg

2. terracon

terracon LawnSite Member

Some people think the coating on this product is a sealer but it is not. What it is , is a release agent so that the pavers can be easily removed from their rubber molds. This product is made upside down and in rubber molds and the pavers have to be popped out and flipped, the release agent helps them 'release' out of the mold. After you do your final compaction and are ready for polymeric sand this is where this issue happens, in my opinion.

After final compaction we check for final color distributin and any defects, sometimes with richcliff you have to go in and level up certain stones for height because they won't level out enough on final compaction. After this we will sweep polymeric sand and do another round of compaction. For these wet cast pavers I believe it is this step you have to watch out for as the polymeric sand and pad will cause a sort of 'burn' on the surface on the paver. The release agent will wear off on the high spots on the pavers and will stay on the low areas. From the first picture the release agent is still in the lower areas. If you do your standard install and do 2 passes on richcliff it can cause this issue. You may also see scratches and some wear on the high points.

For the future of these special finish pavers I will never ever run a plate with urethane pad over them, I will only use a rubber roller plate, either the bolt on style from pavetech of the webermt compactor. So how do you fix this? The release agent eventually wears off because the pavers shouldn't look shiny , although they look awesome that way. You might have to wait this one out. If you do a sealer make sure you use the wet cast sealer, I'm not sure if there is a high gloss in that one. I would take out a few pavers from the edge and seal them and see how that looks.

3. Posh

Posh LawnSite Member

Thanks for the detailed reply! Before I installed these, I asked Unilock how I should compact them and they said to use a protective pad, but they don't sell the pad. I asked them to describe it and they couldn't (or wouldn't). Then a field rep came out to take a look and said sometimes the pad doesn't work well. Lovely, huh. And of course these aren't cheap. I've never heard of the rubber roller plate and Unilock certainly didn't recommend that, but I'll definitely keep it in mind in the future. Also, I'm glad you described how they're made, your info helps a lot as I assumed it was some sort of sealer or finish. And they do look great wet, so I got some solvent based Eagle gloss sealer from Home Depot to test on a paver (it gets great reviews) and I'm still waiting for it to dry. The Unilock rep did suggest solvent based if I was going to try a sealer. Anyway, thanks for your help!

4. terracon

terracon LawnSite Member

hort101 likes this.
  5. Posh

Posh LawnSite Member

Thanks!

6. Posh

Posh LawnSite Member

Also wondering, would you ever use a solvent based gloss sealer on Richcliff's? And do you know if solvent based gloss sealers (Eagle, in this case) wear evenly over time or flake off?
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Eagle-5...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CPvfj-KLwNoCFRYWAQod8BcAxA

7. terracon

terracon LawnSite Member

I haven't sealed richcliff or any of the similar pavers like courtstone/copthorne/townhall but from what I know you have to watch which sealer you put on as some will sit on the surface and not penetrate. I've heard you can seal richcliff but you have to use the wetcast sealer. I would ask Alliance Gator which one they recommend, second you could ask a Techniseal rep. I would not use this Eagle product. Always test on a sample first! Having a problem with sealer is very painful if you have issues. Stripping a solvent based product, you don't want to go there!

8. Posh

Posh LawnSite Member

Ok, appreciate it terracon!