Lawn Care Forum banner

Unions Vs. Slip-Fix for repair situations

7K views 27 replies 18 participants last post by  bob92553 
#1 ·
I like that unions seem to hold the pipe "steady-er"

I like that Slip-Fixes are easy.

But I'd like to hear your thoughs on advice on when to use one, and when to use the other, in certain and differing situations.

Please sirs

#7 ·
The Nibco slip-fix are the best IMO. I've been extremely disappointed with the Spears slip fix type repair couplings. We've had a large number of them fail in the last year, mostly from cracking and splitting. This is surprising given that Spears makes the best PVC fittings in the industry. We pretty much use slip fix for all lateral and main line repairs from 1" all the way up to 3". Depending on the situation we will occasionally repair a main with a union or by building a bridge out of 90's but that's mostly when we are dealing with large trees and we don't want to disturb or cut the roots. The thing about slip fixes (as I'm sure you all know) is that they have to be absolutely straight. They cannot have even the slightest bend or they will leak or crack. If you keep them straight and you measure everything precisely then they will pretty much last forever.

#15 ·
I've used slip-fixes since the beginning. Never had a problem and they can save a lot of time. Using a union for a repair never crossed my mind. I think NIBCO was the first to come out with them and are my choice but Spears and the King Brothers (KBI) have come out with cheaper versions that the distributors like to stock.

#16 ·
love me some slip fix, use them all the time. however, I try to not use them if I can on a main, though I have many times. I have never had one fail, installed fully extended. I have found there is a great dif in overall length between dif brands, so I have extra short ones for those hard to fit and repair areas. spears I think, but cant remember which is which

#17 ·
love me some slip fix, use them all the time. however, I try to not use them if I can on a main, though I have many times. I have never had one fail, installed fully extended. I have found there is a great dif in overall length between dif brands, so I have extra short ones for those hard to fit and repair areas. spears I think, but cant remember which is which
I like using two unions to make a repair on PVC mainline, in fact I did it today to install a tee for extending the 2" main for more zones.

By the way what the hell does you signature mean?
Posted via Mobile Device

#18 ·
I just don't like unions much is all, but I can understand the appeal for sure.

my sig, lol.

pretty lame really.........I have a love for grass, and grass business is tough like love. it goes further than that but we wont go there. the other part, if you could read the sign on that shop toilet of ours, it says something stinks. so, I have a pic asking if you smell "sheet" for no reason other than I find it funny

#26 ·
depends on who made them - get KBI sch 80 unions
Why Sch 80? What kind of systems do you work with?

When I worked on golf systems, athletic fields, and multi-field sport complexes, we never operated at pressures requiring Sch 80. On large agricultural systems we could generate pressures requiring Sch 80, but everything else was well within the range for Sch 40.

Just wondering what you're working on that requires such thicker fittings?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.