1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Yep, looks to be the yazoo 24 inch.

·
Registered
15,214 Posts
Actually, that may not be the factory setup for the front casters. It seems to me, if I remember correctly, they had a swivel type with curved bent rods to hold the wheels. Those type were always quick to wear out on about any mower they were on.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Actually, that may not be the factory setup for the front casters. It seems to me, if I remember correctly, they had a swivel type with curved bent rods to hold the wheels. Those type were always quick to wear out on about any mower they were on.
Not the 24.. The 26 and up have the caster wheels... Earlier ones also never had the casters, but that doesnt look to be that old... But it is old..LOL

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
It looks like a Lazy Boy type mower. I can tell from the photo from the side view it is set at the lowest mowing height right now.

There are three holes on the front wheel frame and three holes on the rear frame. These are the height adjustment.

I had one of these back in the late 60's and bought another in the 70's. In order to get to cut even lower I modified the frame by welding additional brackets and drilling holes in the new brackets.

Nosmo

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Oklahoma Tire and Supply Company (OTASCO) used to sell these when they were in business. These stores were all over Oklahoma and a few in north Texas near the Red River.

They sold them along with Lawn Boys (2-cycle). These red ones were labled Lazy Boys. I had one back in the 60's - 18" cut with a 3-1/2HP Briggs engine. Used it 11 years and left it with my X-wife. Got another in 1978 and it had a lemon of an engine. Put a new 5HP
Briggs and Stratton engine on it and used it for several years that way.

If you find any of these at a garage sale look at the rear wheels. If they are smooth the mower most likely was self propelled. Treaded rear tires -- manual push.

I still have one of the old frames in my scrap metal pile. Been laying there since 1990.

Nosmo

·
Registered
403 Posts
sawman, I knew there where a lot of different models of Yazoo big wheels with a lot of engine choices, so I looked on their website. The first 16 models I looked at were four horizontal and 12 vertical. I quit looking after that but there are probably another dozen models. I know most of these models were pre vari-mulch as you pictured.

Scott

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is NOT a Yazoo Sarlo or Roof mower Ialso believe its a lazy boy cause I saw one on ebay kinda like this one a long time ago.Motor has 2 shafts out bottom one runs sp belt other runs deck belt. Would like to learn more about it thanks for your help

·
Registered
359 Posts
I am looking at the 2nd picture posted and see that the wheels are bolted to frame there is no Self propelled.. for a second pulley to have a belt conected to it would be silly since you would have to have it moving inorder for the blade to spin and self propelled unit to work? I will go and take a picture of my old yazoo as soon as i can so you can compare how similar it is

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.