Update needed - using a cargo van (no trailer) as mower transport

BestImpressions99

LawnSite Senior Member
Hello fellow brothers and sisters of the fescue. Long time no chat with. But I’m back (don’t start clapping all at once now)!!!

So, to get down to it, I did my search as is always recommended but found only 1 post from last year and a few posts from 2016 (and many long before that) dealing with Ford Transit and other vans.

Has anyone looked or taken the plunge in making this vehicle their mower transport (Mercedes Sprinter or Dodge Promaster vans included)? I have had this idea for more than what seems like 5 years now and with the mid and high roof versions being a standard now, the idea is becoming more feasible. Note please that I am considering this vehicle to NOT have a trailer pulling behind it. To have a ramp into the van for storing my equipment.

Pros - security, ease in traffic, equipment always stays in the dry.
Cons - fuel vapors, limits width of mowers to no more than 52”, ramps, and mulch jobs (won’t be putting the mulch IN the van.

The Cons aren’t really that huge as I’ve already thought of those.
Mower width limit - Being in the biz for 20 years now, 52” is the biggest we’ll ever go. Honestly, 48” is perfect, especially with the Grandstand (with both mowers running, we do ~5 acres in a little over an hr, so, plenty fast and plenty big for our needs). If we did just 48” mowers the clearance between wheel wells would be over 5”, so plenty of room.
Fuel vapors, a bit trickier but can put 2 roof vents in the cargo area and a solid partition that seals off all openings between the equipment and the driver/crew.
Ramps, handi-ramps makes a van specific (for sprinter, dodge and Transit vans) ramp system that’s pretty hot. But I have to search other places as our tires are 49” wide and the max width on the ramp system is 45”.
Mulch jobs, I’m going to be looking at at least a 250 long wheel base so I know that I’ll be able to pull a trailer with mulch in it, no problem. When I do mulch jobs I won’t have the mowers inside so it’ll be all good for weight.

So, back to the main request, has anyone ventured into this line of transport?

Looking for this for more than just dream fruition. Main reason honestly is 2-fold. One is ease of driving in traffic (not that it’s an issue for myself, but driving usually in lunch rush hour traffic and in a lot of small side streets where people park in the street, truck + trailer length can get dicey), another is insurance. Business Insurance won’t cover something that gets stolen even if it’s locked up on the trailer or the bed of the truck. It has to be either in a box truck or another type of fully enclosed vehicle.

Thanks for your look and hope to hear from you guys

BI99

Greencuts518

LawnSite Fanatic
It's a dream of mine as well so good topic for me to follow. I used ramps for two years in my pick up with wooden sides for my walk behind and I liked it with no problems. Equipment was secure even in the hood. But I would do a steel partition to separate you from thousands of pounds of equipment. I rolled my work van one time in a snow storm. Good thing their wasn't anything heavy inside.

OP
BestImpressions99

BestImpressions99

LawnSite Senior Member
The main thing for me is the ramp. I’m contemplating cutting my current trailer ramp down and slide it under a ‘platform I make for the mowers. So I pull it out and get my mowers out of the truck and push it back when I’m done. I’ll search around for some. I’ll definitely do the partition for protection as well.

Anyone else with experience that can share what works and what doesn’t?

Thanks,

BI99

OP
BestImpressions99

BestImpressions99

LawnSite Senior Member
True dat.

Refreshing for new viewers. Any experiences owning a high top van (like a Transit, Sprinter or ProMaster)?

Top Forums