• PPP The Second Time Around
    The Emergency Coronavirus Relief Act of 2020 passed in December contained $284 billion for the renewed Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). Click here to read the article.

UPDATE on first whiner of the season

bobbygedd

LawnSite Fanatic
i want to thank you all, that was great input by everyone of you. i did not call him back. however, he did call me back. 7 am this morning. i already had my figures. in talking to rodfather(whom i truly admire, and has given me great advice always), he made a comment. i told him how smooth things were going, and how many new clients i been signing, then i told him about the whiner. rod made a comment, "well bob, they can't all be easy." and of corse i said to myself, " just cus it's not easy, does this mean i can't make the sale? nope, i'll just try and make it sound more appealing." i looked at the property. the leaf cleanup will be about one hour, with maybe 3 barrels of disposal. he has one small maple, in the back, no trees in the front, and the back yard is fenced all around. he called, asked if i saw the property. i said ," yup, and i'll tell you what i came up with. i understand your financial position, so i've created a payment plan consistant with the one we use for other clients. i'm sure you will be pleased. the cutting fee remains at $30. we need a commitment on the leaves also. we added up 30 cuts for the season, plus the leaf cleanup,added the sales tax, and divided it into 10 equal payments of $109.71, is this something that will work for you?" he's like, "well, do i need to sign anything?" i said, "of corse you do, unless u want to pay the whole year in advance." he said," well, can i hire you on a temporary basis, just to make sure u do a good job." i said, "nope, i already know i do a good job." he said, "but the other guy never made me sign a contract." i said, "the other guy couldn't even bother to be at the jobsite. our policies are different, and i'm always there." sold the contract, on my 10 month payment term, which means i get one on march 1st, another on april first, we dont even cut till april 7th, there is no way i can lose. thanks again for all the advice, and remember, they can't all be easy sales.

TXLAWNBOY

LawnSite Member
Congrats Bobby,

You decided what you needed came up w/a sales plan and didn't back down or soften up like most people would. I hope the account turns out to be a good one you can make a reasonable profit on.

Good-luck,
Joshua

OP
B

bobbygedd

LawnSite Fanatic
packer, last year (part time) i had like 30-35 lawns. i think i may have lost only one or two. this year(full time first year), i signed like 6 new ones already. so i'll say we have like 35-40 . i need 60. i had a little help last year. this year, if i get only 50, i'll go it solo. if i get 60 +, i'll take on my man 20 hrs a week. yea dusty, growing up huh. not sure i like this being nice stuff, it was so much more fun to just hang up on them when they were troublesome. now i have to act civilized

packerbacker

LawnSite Bronze Member
packer, last year (part time) i had like 30-35 lawns. i think i may have lost only one or two. this year(full time first year), i signed like 6 new ones already. so i'll say we have like 35-40 . i need 60. i had a little help last year. this year, if i get only 50, i'll go it solo. if i get 60 +, i'll take on my man 20 hrs a week.

Cool, just wondering, i work by myself also, sometimes ill have a buddy help me if he needs some extra cash but its not often, i would much rather work by myself 14 hours a day then have some clown talking my ear off for 7

cush

LawnSite Senior Member
In my opinion I would rather have someone object to something rather than not say anything at all. You then have the chance to overcome the objection. Great Job!!!!!!!!!!!1