Upgrading an old 12V Controller

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Homie, Oct 15, 2001.

  1. Homie

    Homie LawnSite Member
    Messages: 15

    I bought a 75 year old house recently, which has what I'm told is a 40-50 year old irrigation system. All underground lines are copper, and it works great, except for one thing.

    The controller, which looks about the same age, has two dials. One for zone and one for minutes. No days. Nothing else. The only way to operate the system is to turn it on manually, and, since the "minutes" dial is inoperative, turn to the next zone when appropriate.

    Since I travel frequently, the system is rarely used, defeating the purpose of underground sprinkling, in my opinion.

    I would like to upgrade to a modern controller, but the existing controller and valves are 12 volt. I understand that newer models are 24 volt, which brings me to my questions.

    Can I use a 24 volt controller with this system, or will it fry the valves? If not, how do I step down the voltage to 12V? My contractor (who is terrific, by the way) has quoted me $1000 for the upgrade. This does NOT include changing out the valves to 24V units. With controllers going for just $50-$200, I am looking for another option.

    Any ideas?
  2. HBFOXJr

    HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,712

    I'm walking out on a dead limb here because I don't know anything about this.

    I would Highly recommend a Hunter Pro-C controller if less than 12 zones or ICC if over 12 zones. The guys prices are absurded even if the old controller was hard wired and you need an outlet installed.

    It may be possible to change the solinoids or the valves and not the valves themselves. There is an aftermarket manufacturer/supplier called R Co., that may have what is required.

    If the valves are easily visible, get me a make, model and size.
  3. Homie

    Homie LawnSite Member
    Messages: 15

    There is already an outlet there, used by the existing ancient controller. It is a 5 zone system.

    Valves are underground, who knows where. If I could switch out the solenoids, that sounds much less expensive.

    Does R Co. have an internet store?
  4. HBFOXJr

    HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,712

    You'll have to have a contractor use a locator to find the valves. The after market supplier is R Co. Parts . You will have to buy through a supplier, not direct. They may be useful for feasibility.

    This may have been done buy a very old line company that someone has bought out. Possibly a drawing could exist.

    Keep me posted.

Share This Page