Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aight guys recently bought a troy built powerhead to replace an old ryobi(bought cause i've got several attachments). Now i'm feeling the blues as 3 months after buying it the power head is acting up. I'm wanting to upgrade to a more professional power head like the Echo pas-230 or the stihl equiv. What would you guys recommend. Typically i edge, weedeat, till, and use a blower attachment with my troybuilt so i'd like a powerhead that will give me the power to use those attachments(although i realize i'll have to buy new attachments)with no problem. What do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Ever since Echo entered home depot and started to appeal to the consumer I have read on the boards their quality has gone down a bit. I reccommend getting a seperate edger, line trimmer, and a backpack blower. This will save you tons of time! Especially the backpack blower. If you have the money you could pick up the Kawi k750b BP Blower for 288 and kawi line trimmer/edger at a local lesco for 232 a pop. This would be your best bang for the buck and its great equipment

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well although i relaize thats a route to take. I dn't have a ton of room in the ole garage for alot of equipment and just to ease confusion this is just for household use. a driveway big enough for two cars and about 200 feet of sidewalk(live on a corner). The edging attachment has done great in the past with the troy built. The power head is just crap and i'd like to be able to take it back and get my money back before it's to late and replace it with a better power head

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
home owner crap is just that...crap.

jbannick18 gave you good advice that you rejected, because of lack of room in the garage?...for a couple of handhelds and a backpack?

just keep buying the crap...that seems to be what you want to hear, just go back to the bigbox stores: troybilt will last forever.lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well now that we've heard from the vocal one in the group! Wow didn't realize not wanting to buy a 300 dollar backpack blower for a freakin driveway was such a touchy subject. It's called simplicity son, I've got more important projects in my shop then to have a professional landscapers setup. I was just asking for advice on power heads geez!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Guys- Buying professional grade equipment and the multi-tool combo units can be combined. The guy asked for multi-tool recomendations and you gave him advice against that. Like anyone, expect some reluctance to your advice and support it with facts.

I do agree homeowner stuff is crap. Buy once and use the equipment for 20 years or buy the same Lowes/Home Depot crap every 2-3.

I recommend a Stihl KM 110. I have one and like it every much. I would use Bannicks advice and get a dedicated blower but you can have top of the line professional grade equipment that share a single engine. My neighbor has the KM 85 (not made anymore) and I have the KM 110 with the hedge trimmer, pole saw, string trimmer and edger. It saves room in my shed but is still professional quality. I also have a BR-550 blower so for 5 "tools", I only have 2 engines. The blower on the end of a weedeater thing is like a fart in the wind compared to backpacks.

Let us know what you purchase. Cry once when you pay for it rather than crying everytime you use the equipment.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your advice mans. Like you stated i never said i didn't want pro quality i just didn't want to plop out the space and money for 3 dedicated tools when one head and several attachments would do. Thanks again.

·
Registered
523 Posts
My recommendation would be a Stihl KM90R, or a KM110R. If you have no plans to ever run a sweeper, or broom then the 90 will do just fine. The 90 will push those two but the KM110R has a little more oomph. You will pay just over $300 for the power head, and then the attachments range from $89 for a line trimmer head, all the way to over $300 for the broom and sweeper.

These are both Pro level Stihl products, and very reliable.

Where are you located?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think echo or stihl will both last a long time I've had stihl saws and hand equipment as well as echo. It's just been a while and so i wanted some current advice. Had stihl had a deal like this going down then i would have gone that route. Time will tell.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If your truely "Upgrading" go visit your local sales and service dealer, take how much money your willing to spend on a new head and attachment system, and see what they can do for you with some good quality equipment. You may be surprised that for as little as 10-20% more than the cheap qaulity big box store prices of attachment stuff, you can get the good stuff.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I don't think a 210 Echo head will run an edger. I had a 230 and was disapointed, traded it in on a FS85 and noticed a huge difference.

you've already spent more on the troybilts than you would have had you gone and bought the commerical first. Now you want to get the smallest Echo. If you make the same mistake, you will have spent 50% more.

Do it right and buy the best. You will never say this has too much power, I wish I didn't buy this unit. I've balked at the prices I've paid but never once regretted it after the pain in my wallet went away.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.