Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys I need some help here. I am looking to sell my 48" tiger cub and upgrade to a bigger mower. I only want to deal with a local dealer, so my choices in manufactures are... Scag, Hustler, Exmark, and Dixie Chopper. I am looking at either 56" or 60/61" decks. Now my question is who of course. I have looked at the turf tigers, hustler z/super z, and exmark lazer z and lazer z hp. The turf tigers start around $9700 w/27 kohler command. Hustler Z w/ 25 kaw $8500 or 27 kohler $8800--Super Z w/ 27 kohler $9600. Dixie Chopper Coatesville Classic w/27 generac $8500 or 30 kohler $9600. And finally the exmark lazer z w/31 vanguard and triton deck $8900, lazer z w/27 kohler triton deck $8800 and lazer hp w/27 kohler command 56 triton deck $8200. In summary I have looked at all of these fine machines and like them all, unfortunately bank account says I can only get one. I am looking for a combination of good clean mulching on weekly yards to cutting 4 yards every 10-14 days with 1.5 to 3.5 acres each that grows fast and thick--usually side discharge. All help is welcome and look foward to hearing everyones thoughts. Thanks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Forgot to add that Toro is an option also. Don't know much about them or price but dealer 5 min from me sells those along with scag and hustler.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I haven't used any of the mowers that you've listed,at least not much, but I'm going give you the same answer that others will probably give; If you're going to buy from a local dealer you need to get that dealer to let you demo the mowers on your list on the 2 types of accounts that you mentioned. If you do that you should probably start to decide which one you like the best and does a good enough job for you. If the dealers that you're considering buying from won't let you demo their mower, then I would remove them from the list of potential mowers.

·
Banned
7,474 Posts
I'd stick with Scag since you already have a few of their products. My TC with 61" deck and bagger costs about as much as the TT does without bagger. It cuts great and bagger great. Switching brands just to have something different wouldn't be in my plan.

·
Registered
144 Posts
If I was in the market for a new mid-mount, I would definatley look at the exmark lazer z xs, 29 DFI/60. These a good looking machines, if you need a carb checkout the lazer z 28/60, both are kawasaki engines.

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
I actually just demoed both a Dixie Chopper and a Toro in the past couple of weeks. The dixie chopper worked great discharging even the long wet lawns. The Dixie could cut at about full speed without sacraficing quality of cut. I wasn't able to bag with it so I don't know how it does at that. But the Dixe is a little harder to get used to, it isn't set up like most of the other mowers that I have tried.

The Toro also did great at side discharging and bagging. It didn't go quite as fast but it certainly was able to cut at near full speed when discharging. Cut was great on it. The only thing that I didn't like so much was that it didn't stripe very well (Turbo Force), but that is easily fixed with a stripping kit.

Like you said the Scag/Hustler dealer also sells toro so all your equipment will still be able to go to one dealer.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I love my Exmark, but it has the Ultra-cut deck. I've read here and there that some arn't all together happy with the triton...I'd do a lot of research if I were you. Scag makes a great machine and as mentioned above, may not be a bad choice since you already have some of their products. Good Luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.