Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I need to give a bid by friday on a wall that is 4.5 ft high and 55 feet long.. It is currently a wall with rotted out landscaping timbers and it needs to be replaced.. the wall is straights. i would be using the rockwood classic 6" blocks. they are 18" wide, and 6" high. 56 lbs each. and are $5.88 each block... I need to know how many man hours this might take to construct with backfilling and tearing the old wall out and everything.. I came up with a total of $3980.00 for the job.. Does that sound ok?? $2000.00 for the blocks, 200 for the gravel, 100 for rental equipment like saw and compactor, and about 1600.00 labor.. please let me know what you think..

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
sounds too cheap.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Installing the new wall would be around 7 -8 grand around here. Getting rid of the old wall... Maybe 2-3 grand depending on the variables & equipment used.

·
Registered
668 Posts
It may be different in other locations, but don't you need an engineer for anything over 4ft high? Might want to check it out.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Price the wall at least $30/SF and charge time and dump fees for the demo and disposal of the ties. You may find that they are costly to dispose of. Put that in the contract and that any work not described in the contract is an extra.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, i redid the bid and kept all material prices the same, except i uped the labor hours.. I started out at 3900 for the bid, and i am now at $5100.00. I proposed the bid to him and i will let you guys know how it went. I kind of want this job as a good learning experience so i bid kinda low on purpose.. I read up on this rockwood system for a good couple nights, and i am pretty confident that i can put it together nicley.. thanks. jeff

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what do you mean engineering? the wall is about 4 feet high. and it is just retaining this guys lawn. he will be running his tractor over it? Im just going to put it together like the directions say for a 4 foot wall. 6 inch compacted gravel base.. then, compact and backfill after each course completed. let me know what you are thinking.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
In your original post you said the wall was 4.5', and now you say about 4'. All of the SRW's that I have used or researched require that any wall 4' or taller be designed by an engineer to ensure structural integrity. I looked at the Rockwood web site & their specifications are the least stringent that I've seen. Maybe their block is designed in a way that handles the load better than others?
From their site http://www.retainingwall.com/welcome.html :
"Critical retaining walls have at least one of these characteristics: (a) walls that are tall (over 4 feet), (b) walls with greater lateral pressures, (c) walls which have slopes behind them, (d) walls with surcharge loads, and (e) walls in critical locations or which have other design requirements...

A licensed engineer should be consulted when constructing critical walls requiring geogrid. "

The SRW manufacturers that I'm familiar with "require" that walls 4' or above be designed by an engineer.

Just saw this on their site, so my guess about their design was probably right:
"ROCKWOOD Retaining Walls prevent hydrostatic buildup behind the retaining wall by permitting water drainage. "

So maybe that wall won't fall over when the homeowner runs his lawnmower near the edge during a wet spring?? ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's already Friday so you probably bid by now...but it does seem like you came in a K or two low, that may not be bad if you get some experience or leverage more work from it...that kind of thing. If this is one of your first block walls, it just sounded like it may be..., ask the block distributer to help you with the geo-grid piece so you'll be certain you're ok since youy are over that 4 foot in height margin, and don't forget the drainage ...lot's of guys skimp on that.

·
Registered
222 Posts
An engineer is definitly not required for a 4' or 5' wall. We have done 12' wall with double sets of geogrid fabric........as long as the base is solid and level precaste walls are pretty straight forward.

·
Lawnsite Addict
1,625 Posts
And you have a structural engineering degree? You know all about shear and rotation and can figure load stress. Plus you have errors and omissions insurance.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.