US DOT - No more cell phones for commercial trucks

DVS Hardscaper

LawnSite Fanatic
New FEDERAL DOT law Effective this week.

Note the dollar amount of the fine that employers can face. In addition to the fine the driver can receive.

http://www.taborlawfirm.com/trucking-accident/u-s-dot-ruling-no-handheld-cell-phones-for-commercial-truck-bus-drivers/

Posted via Mobile Device

OP
DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper

LawnSite Fanatic
OP
DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper

LawnSite Fanatic
Usually with DOT laws, they can stop you at any time for any reason with no probable cause needed.

What's funny is the guy in charge of running the Fed DOT is quoted as saying "if a driver reaches for a phone that's a dangerous distraction".
Ok, and reaching to lift the mic for the CB isn't?

The biggest thing to be aware of is the employer fine, seperate from the driver's fine! I don't think many small hardcape contractors would be able to pay it. It's more than most 1 ton dump trucks are worth!

Posted via Mobile Device

crazymike

LawnSite Senior Member
That's a maximum penalty. An employer won't get an $11,000 fine because your $12 an hour employee called his girlfriend. If you're employee is geTting his third ticket and you keep phoning your employee while he's pulled over and the officer grabs the phone, then I can see maximum penalties being enforced.
Posted via Mobile Device

zedosix

LawnSite Silver Member
We've had this law for 2 yrs now, its all about safety on the road. Cell phones are a huge distraction just like texting and surfing while driving.

xtreem3d

LawnSite Senior Member
It says "larger trucks" I assume it's the 26001gvwr and over?