1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

used exmark wb opinions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by truckster, Aug 5, 2003.

1. truckster

truckster LawnSite Member
    from se pa

Hello, just registered and wanted to get everyone's opinion on a mower I'm going to look at this weekend. I'm a new homeowner with appx 2 acres to cut, which I'm currently doing with a 21inch push mower. :cry:

I want a walk-behind because I'm contemplating starting a small mowing business next spring on a part-time basis. My community is growing at an astounding rate with many developments. The normal yard size is 1/2 to 2 acres.

The mower is a 60" Exmark Turf Tracer hydro with a Kohler 18hp. The mower was used commercially and has 1200hrs on it. I do not know exactly what year the mower is.

So I have the following questions. Thanks in advance for answering, the folks on this site are very helpful.

1. What is the normal life expectancy of a commercial engine on a walk-behind if well maintaned? I'm on a limited budget and want something reliable. Is this the ticket....or too many hours?

2. Is a 60" too big? I've used a buddy's 50" Gravely gear drive wb and loved it. But is the 60" too much for the main mower of a one man business?

3. Trailering: Is the 60" gonna be too big to trailer on say a single axle utility trailer?

Let me know what ya think.

Thanks Again!!

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

1)If it has been maintaned properly it may last another 1000-1500
    hours but if not could go tommorow.I would personally look for less hours but that's just me.
    2)For the property sizes you mentioned a 60 is not too big.
    3)It will fit on a single axle trailer with no problem as long as it is a 6' wide trailer.(2990 GVW on the trailer.)