Used imazapyr 4 sl in spring

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ed2hess, Dec 19, 2018.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Go up a couple pictures and look at the tall bermuda grass.....we only get paid to mow it 8 times a year. I was looking for chemical solution. Imazapyr 4L knocked the bermuda out but in second year I got these giant thistle. Is there a better solution?

2. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

You're probably not going to like my answer but here goes. From what I've seen of your posts in the past on these properties you agree to take them on with minimal mowing and if you mow them on the agreed schedule they are way out of hand by the time you get to them. Then you try to make them more manageable by chemically treating them. Realize when you spray these wild/natural/whatever areas when you kill one thing you will probably "release" other things. I'd suggest when you take these jobs don't agree to mow them on such a limited schedule unless you are bush hogging them with a tractor which you've said they have to look more presentable. In other words if they need mowing more often then mow them more often and of course get paid to do so. Quit trying to make chicken salad out of chicken sheet when you aren't getting to paid for it.

iand, hort101, CHARLES CUE and 2 others like this.
  3. Digitaria Sanguinalis

Digitaria Sanguinalis LawnSite Senior Member

But he has 78,727 post. He has to be an expert! I mean he's proven he can identify a broadleaf weed from a grassy weed. Let's go a head and give him an honorary degree in turf management from the University of Phoenix.

4. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

ju
    Just what i would said to me killing every thing is not the answer

5. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

Be nice ed seems like a good guy just looking for answers

hort101 and That Guy Gary like this.
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

This is a very large account with 12 acres(half green belt ponds)that we have had for several years. There is no way that they will agree to increasing mows on this.......most of the present board members don't even know where the 13 areas are and neither does new property manager. So if we go in and increase the price they will rebid and we may be gone. I personally mow this so cost is low but I don't like putting wear and tear on TT. The first year after spraying there was nothing. This is second year and my mistake was not putting pre-M down a couple months ago. I treated a lot of fence line and now these thistle are big as heck. I will mow this next week ....easier than big bermuda...I think my simazine/mso/msm/RU will kill them. If not I will use speedzone and diaquat. These areas give me a place to test chemicals.

7. dwc

dwc LawnSite Senior Member

In my experience, most ALS inhibitors like imazapyr and msm are very weak on thistles. They will respond much better to a 2,4d chemical. There is a big chance they could have became resistant after your first year treatment so you need to change modes of action to get them back under control.

8. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Imazapyr is stronger on grassy weeds vs legumes and various broadleaf weeds. In a VM situation, I use Imazapyr+Aminopyralid+Triclopyr.

It is easy to lose money chopping brush month after month. I also have an objection to maintaining areas of invasives as a ground cover. See that done in my state all the time. Kill it all. Keep it dead is my policy for areas consisting of invasives.

9. dwc

dwc LawnSite Senior Member

You’re right, 2,4d won’t help with the grassy weeds, etc. I was just meaning if he wanted a cheap burn down until they get a freeze, that is an option. Your combo sounds pretty mean if sprayed in the spring!

10. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

Wouldn't this be a bare ground formula more less?