Used imazapyr 4 sl in spring

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ed2hess, Dec 19, 2018.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Should I cut them before I put on the 2, 4D? Thistle is 2 -3 ft. tall. Temperatures are 40 - 60 degrees.

2. dwc

dwc LawnSite Senior Member

I would mow them off, but not too short then spray. Be sure to use surfactant because they are very waxy. Speed zone would burn them down a lot faster but it gets expensive. Ester based 2,4d would be preferred over amine with the cool temps.

3. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

Ed,
    I though from some earlier posts you were trying to get these areas down to just mainly common Bermuda? What vegetation are you trying to reduce the areas to now, bare ground?

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

No just want to stop thistle from growing all winter.
    I use mso.....a little searching around for 2,4d indicates ester based not easily found as amine.

5. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

Ed,
    Are you being paid for the applications you are doing to these properties? I get the feeling you're not.

Just wondering.

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

No ....it provides place to test and reduce mows....but I have a few areas where I took it from weedpatch to nice bermuda. Some of the areas are more visible than these ponds. And the ponds tend to grow faster because soil is better.

7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Most of the Canada thistle is connected together by roots and rhizomes; it can sprout from the rhizomes. I suspect that you will have the best kill from treating with an ester-based phenoxy during a period of rapid vertical growth. Maybe after a rain. Spray the resprouts after cutting. Probably spray it when between 6 and 18 inches tall.
    Turflon is a possibility. Not really safe on Bermuda--might slow down your Bermuda--but maybe that is OK with you.
    https://www.domyown.com/turflon-ester-ultra-p-3883.html

Dicamba is another possibility--root absorbed--might kill trees.

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Turflo expensive..why not 2, 4D ester base?

9. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

If you could apply Imazapyr to the area, it is not fine ornamental turf. Significance of that is Turflon Ester is not needed. You can use Triclopyr Ester labeled for VM.

10. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Yes and no. Low rates of Imazapyr growth regulate Bermuda. Bermuda is actually rather tolerant of Imazapyr. It is one of the first things to break through on areas treated with Imazapyr for bare ground weed control.

I do deal with areas that would otherwise need to be rough cut twice a month 12 months out of the year in the absence of some kind of chemical management. Low rates of Imazapyr and Glyphosate to stunt Bermuda as well as suppress the weedy grasses is part of the program. I go after broadleaf weeds, vines and saplings rather aggressively. Grass at one height and of a similar leaf texture does not look bad no matter how tall it is. Broadleaves and brush can really make an area look bad.

hort101 likes this.