Used imazapyr 4 sl in spring

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ed2hess, Dec 19, 2018.

1. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Nutrien carries their brand of 2,4-D Ester. Low Vol 6. Price is good too. Less than $100 for 2.5 gallons. Simazine is not that good on deep rooted perennial weeds. Shallow rooted annuals are more affected. Not for use on cool season grasses.

That Guy Gary likes this.
  2. Digitaria Sanguinalis

Digitaria Sanguinalis LawnSite Senior Member

3. greendoctor

It does have a turf label. Ornamental turf. No statement prohibiting usage on residential turf. I would be allowed to apply this to lawns in my state. Other states may be different as in this is out because it also has an AG label.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

5. greendoctor

I use it on Bermuda, Zoysia, and Seashore Paspalum. I personally do not see the difference between 1 lb per acre of 2,4-D applied as a Three Way and 2,4-D as ester. Correction. There is a difference. 1/2-3/4 lb Ester works as well as or better than Amine. To the point that if I need to apply 2,4-D it is as Speed Zone or else a tank mix including Ester.

Jkh7 and That Guy Gary like this.
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

When you use speedzone how many ounces per acre? I don't understand pound per acre? I use about 40 ounces of speedzone per acre with 40 ounces of simazine..would you guess I would use same amt of 24D ester to replace speedzone?

7. greendoctor

No need. If using 6 lb per gallon 2,4-D ester, I get equivalent killing power from 16 oz of liquid per acre or 3/4 lb acre actual 2,4-D.

8. dwc

dwc LawnSite Senior Member

Ester will volatize off site and harm other plants if it’s very hot out. That’s why ester is a good cool weather choice and anime is a better warm/hot weather choice.

9. dwc

dwc LawnSite Senior Member

Speed zone has 1.53lbs per gallon of actual 2,4d ester where the Defy LV6 posted above has 5.5lbs per gallon of actual 2,4d ester.
    So if you take the high rate of Defy which is 32oz/A you are actually applying 1.37lbs/A of actual 2,4d. If you apply 64oz/A of speed zone, you are applying .75lbs/A of actual 2,4d.
    Speed zone gets away with less because it includes carfentrazone, Mecoprop and dicamba in the mix. So for instance on white clover, where straight 2,4d May have a hard time, mecoprop will take it out much easier because you aren’t relying solely on one chemical.

hort101 likes this.
  10. kemco

kemco LawnSite Bronze Member

Millenium ultra 2 has been one of the best 3-way formulations we've use for those hard to kill including thistle etc. Pricey I know.