Used imazapyr 4 sl in spring

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ed2hess, Dec 19, 2018.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I never noticed that spec included #/gal of chemical in question. Really learned a lot from you guys in the last couple days. This will reduce the amount of testing I will need to do. Thanks

hort101, That Guy Gary and dwc like this.
  2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks I am beginning to understand...

That Guy Gary likes this.
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I sprayed an acre last week with simazine+ 13oz speedzone/acre and got some result on thistle...temp 34-45F.

KIMG0450.JPG

With 24D ester I just ordered should be able get a better kill on the next acre. It will be tricky because 20% is ST Augustine that is not fully dormant. Probably willspray around it since don't usually get weeds in it anyway.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

ugustine
    I got the 24-D ester ........won't 16oz per acre hurt St Augustine? The temperature was 63F tday....tommorow going down a little.

KIMG0471.JPG

Label on product implies shouldn't be used on St Augustine.

5. Digitaria Sanguinalis

Digitaria Sanguinalis LawnSite Senior Member

Let me get this straight. You're worried about the St. Augustine?
    But you've already sprayed Imazapyr!!! I though the goal was to kill/ chemical mow everything and turf quality was not a consideration.

I'm not sure you have any idea what you're doing or what you are trying to accomplish. I feel sorry for your clients.

ArTurf likes this.
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Not to worry I used the wipe out chemical on two small areas under power line and holding pond. it worked the first year but thistle came up second year. I take care of about 50 acres for our business...

7. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

St Augustine tolerates 2,4-D ester as well as it would Speedzone at equivalent rates. The low 2,4-D high MCPP formulations sold for use on southern grasses actually cause more damage and provide lesser weed control. MCPP is specific to Clover, not so much for weeds common to warm season areas.

Is the area with the Thistle problem a ROW or otherwise industrial turf type area? If so, Clopyralid or Aminopyralid may be usable.

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Yes....I will try 24-d ester in backpack first. I am seeing thistle in lawns all over the city. Thanks

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Getting rid of these thistle after they get established is hard especially when it is cool. Spot spraying with Diaquat almost gets em....I cut them off then wait until they start to come out and spray. This next week I am spraying an area of bermuda with 24-D ester at about 2 pints/acre to see....City wide a lot of thistle this year.
    Here are some sprayed last week.......still a little green

KIMG0513.JPG

KIMG0514.JPG

Hoping to get higher temp before going to 24-D ester.