• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Used or New??

surfocean

LawnSite Member
I'm planning on joining the business shortly, part time, 2 days a week to substitute my income. I am shopping for equipment and thinking of starting with a 36in walk-behind from either xmark, jdeere, or scag. Ive seen all the models in the showrooms, and I've also been looking at used models. I would prefer a used one since its less outta pocket and it can become my backup/gated-yard mower if the business takes off, and I decide on a 48. Should I get a used mower and what do I look for in a used unit as far as wear and tear and proper maintenance?

mikefromny

LawnSite Member
if you have the money buy it New if your strapped and looking part time (like you said ) i would tell you buy USED but buy carefully used. my 2 cents.

KathysLGC

LawnSite Bronze Member
Look at the used equip section here.
A 36" should be just fine if you think you'll have issues with gates. If many yards in your area don't have gates a 48" would be a better choice.
As far as wear and tear, it's hard to tell just by looking at a mower. I know sone one with a nice 52"TTHP and he never washes it but keeps it in tip top shape. You would never know by looking at it.