Lawn Care Forum banner

Used Scag - did I get ripped off?

4K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  DeletedMember196207 
#1 ·
Hi all,

After enduring an 11 year old Craftsman which has all but imploded, I was in the market for either a good used commercial or a new "commercial" (think Ariens Ikon XL or Toro HD) ZTR with a power bagger for my 1/2 acre lawn. Then my friend told me of his friend who was selling a Scag Wildcat "about 5 years old, with a new Kohler engine about 200 hrs old." I took a look and very clean, no leaks, runs strong, no odd noises, everything works, nothing loose, clean fluids. It also had a very nice three bag blower, and my buddy to vouch for it all. The hour meter was questionable as the display is half busted and read something like E003.3. Didn't have any documentation including the manual. He was asking $4400 and we settled at 4K even. Gave me a bunch of extra blades and filters. I figured I was good to go. What could go wrong right?

I had it garaged for a few days before I had to move it, and lo and behold, it has quite a nice hydro leak at the end cap seal. Oh well, sh*t happens. Buy a new seal kit and read all about how to re-seal a BDP-10. I am a pretty well-equipped DIY'er who used to wrench professionally, so as long as I can find parts I'm ok. While underneath I noticed the wheel motor also has a super slow leak. Ok whatever.. more seals and more time.

To prep, I looked for the manual online based on the s/n and WTF?.. this is a 2006 model???? That got me suddenly thinking about the hour meter.. the first digit "E" could be a 5 or a 6 or even an 8, but I cannot believe a machine this clean could have been running for 5K+ hours. But if it has, shame on me. So despite it looking nice, it leaks, is old, and this friend of a friend appears shadier by the minute. Reading all the "how many hours is too many" threads did nothing to help my paranoia lol.

Used Scags sell at a premium in my area (CT) and any Scag that works with a blower would not start at less 3-5K... from the standpoint that it was only a few years old it appeared to be a pretty good deal. However with all of the above, I am really wondering if I got taken for a ride and dazzled by a pressure washer special... in which case I'm gonna punch my friend square in the head and probably abscond with most of his beer :)

Armored up and ready for the "dumba$$" comments! Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi giantsean, at this point you own it and sounds like you have the skill set to fix the issues....I think you will be ok. I know the bagger system for scans is pretty expensive and they are well built units. It sucks when you feel like you got taken but once you iron out the kinks it should serve you well.....get a new hour meter so you can keep track of the maintenance and run it till it dies. Good luck! DG

#3 ·
Also....I've been burned before on a used mower and by a dealer at that. I only buy new now so I know what I have from the get go. The wildcat is a commercial grade unit and the Ariens is a homeowner as is the Toro so don't sweat it and if you like the scag then get a tiger cat 11 when this one dies....

#4 ·
Yea
Scag wildcat is definitely older than 5 years

But doesn't mean it can't have low hours

Guy says ENGINE has 200 hours on it
Meaning the engine is likely a replacement or rebuild
That doesn't mean the rest of the machine doesn't have 2000 hours on it

I wouldn't have bought the machine really
But if it did I wouldn't have given more than $2500

#7 ·
Thanks guys. Yeah there is no ambiguity now... I KNOW it is definitely a 2006 model. This would probably be easy to know if I just did some research first. I usually read the **** out of every major purchase I make... I just trusted too much in this case). Oh yeah and the hours he "thought" were on the frame was 1200. Supposedly he's had it for his own residential use for several years after buying it used from a dealer. He is a landscaper but doesn't cut lawns, he is more of a designer.

Here's some pics of the beast. Hopefully you will agree that this doesn't look like it has 5000 hrs on it, or at least that it looks well maintained (not just excessively pressure-washed lol). Oh yeah the top half of the ROPS and the pulley covers are also missing. Add that to the list :)

@ TPendagast... if you can find me running Scags with baggers for $2500 wherever you are, I'll buy as many as you can find and sell em up here!

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Wheel
Land vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread
Hood Automotive tire Electronic instrument Audio equipment Automotive design

#11 ·
Thanks guys. Yeah there is no ambiguity now... I KNOW it is definitely a 2006 model. This would probably be easy to know if I just did some research first. I usually read the **** out of every major purchase I make... I just trusted too much in this case). Oh yeah and the hours he "thought" were on the frame was 1200. Supposedly he's had it for his own residential use for several years after buying it used from a dealer. He is a landscaper but doesn't cut lawns, he is more of a designer.

Here's some pics of the beast. Hopefully you will agree that this doesn't look like it has 5000 hrs on it, or at least that it looks well maintained (not just excessively pressure-washed lol). Oh yeah the top half of the ROPS and the pulley covers are also missing. Add that to the list :)

@ TPendagast... if you can find me running Scags with baggers for $2500 wherever you are, I'll buy as many as you can find and sell em up here!

View attachment 361790 View attachment 361791 View attachment 361792 View attachment 361793
It's 12 years old
Like I said
I wouldn't buy it
But IF I did it wouldn't be for more than $2500

I have scags a generation newer with less than 1200 hours on it for $4000 and they are only 6-8 years old.
Aaaaand they have baggers
Not to mention I've seen these years/makes/models sell for 4 grand for many years
So why buy older generation units with more hours for that price, hmmmm?

#17 ·
I had the exact same mower 2006 wildcat with clam shell bagger Same problem leaks I never fixed wheel leak It didn't leak much and dealer said parts alone were around $400. I just kept a eye on hydro level I traded it in last month on another Scag Dealer did not want bagger I have it for sale for $600. It will only fit advantage deck. The dealer sold my wildcat the next week for $2500.

#18 ·
Thanks. Yeah my biggest problem is that I didn't do my homework before buying. The one advantage is that it really does have a newer engine which I know is true as my soon-to-be-ex-buddy was around when he had to replace it. shelling out 4K for what you think is a five year old machine is much different than 12... had I known I'd have passed. One of our local dealers had a 2007 Hustler Fastrack with bagger with something like 2000 hrs going for 3800 firm. It was in my price range but I laid off because of the age.

Did the dealer who sold yours for 2500 fix the leaks first? Or did it just go out the door like that? Also, did you have a problem with pooling and getting oil all over the lawns? I don't mind slow leaks as long as the thing is not ruining my grass.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.