Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. My dad and I are investing in a skidsteer...SOON. I found a machine I think would be just right for me and am calling the seller about some things about the machine. Not sure what year it is, but it's a Bobcat F-series 753, so it's newer than a '96 with new paint and tires and front aux. hydraulics. They are asking $9750, but if i can talk them down $500, I think I'd have a good deal, depending how many hours is on it. To get to the point, what are some things to look out for on a used machine? I read a thread on it a long time ago, but I can't remember anything. I know I want to run it for a while and put it through it's paces, check for leaks, general things. But what else is there to look at? I've run plenty of AG tractors, but I know nothing about skidsteers when it comes to buying used. I should have posted this in the heavy equip. forum, but I need quick replies and there aren't many people in there. Thanks for the help, I will keep posted!

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
I can't specificaly help you

But would imagine that you need to take the approach as with any used purchase. Car, equipment among others.

Go over the engine like you would a car.

Look over the hydrolics, pump, hoses. Look for wear, leaks and so on. I know some have quick connect fittings. Try them see that they work and don't leek.

Operate the machine, try lifting the back end of your truck or something with it. See that it tracks straight when levers are both forward, same for reverse. Pay attention to response if seems sluggish, then perhaps a problem with hydrolic pressure.

Listen to the machine carefully.

I have used a friends machine often. If I was to buy a used one, those are the things I would be looking at.

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, that makes sense GLAN. General things like taking a look at the engine compartment a good idea to check for leaks. I will be sure to run it alot to make sure things are working properly.

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
I think $9,500 for used Bobcat is that has 3,000 hours and is 10 years old is way out of line. I trade mine out at 1,500 hours. I get excellent trade in value and there is still plenty of life in them. If you are running this machine as part of a business I would look at a used machine with around1000 hours give or take. No matter what brand it is. Some suggestions on used skid steers: No matter how new the machine is people seem to be able to tear them rather quickly; don't assume that because it fairly new that it "must" be in good condition. Run an engine oil and hydraulic oil check on the machine. Check the loader arms for straightness as well as the pins for play. Check drive chains, and sprokets for wear. Check to see that all of the "-----" lights work. These machines are expensive to have worked on. If you have ever looked inside of one you know why. You can easily be upside down in one if buy a heap. IF you are buying from a private party it would be worth the money to take it to the dealer and have it checked out.

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info guys. Here's an update. The Bobcat dealer around here isn't that great, so I'm looking at Cat right now. I've called a reputable Cat dealer that has a chain of dealerships across the state and they are looking for a used machine for me. Right now I'm looking at a 236, they have some in the fleet with about 600 hours that have been maintained by the dealer, which is good, for about 21,000. We might do a lease, haven't decided. Going down today to take a look at it and run it around. I'm also looking at the 226 as well. I would like any opinions on Cat machines as dealer support with Cat up here is pretty good. Would like to go Bobcat, but I think I'd have problems with that dealer. Also, any opinions on JD? I have heard some bad things about them but have never run them so I wouldn't know. Thanks guys! Will keep posted

·
Registered
54 Posts
Can't go wrong buying/leasing a Cat. JD on the other hand... never driven them, but I haven't heard a good thing about a JD skid steer yet. New Holland has pretty solid loader; especially for the money. Might want to check that option out too. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another update-I test ran a Cat 216 today, I decided the 236 was a little too big for the scale of jobs we will be doing. We are leaning toward a 54 month lease on a brand new 216, at $299 a month, which in the end would be about the same cost as buying, but we don't have to worry about selling the machine in 4 years, and we'd just trade up. Plus it's cheaper initially so we can put more money toward some attachments right from the start. The Cat dealer is very good at returning my calls and working for me so far, they've been great. What attachments should we be looking at? I'm looking at forks and a landscape rake (bascially a rock picker) for next year, just the standard bucket will get us through this year. I'm thinking about a harley rake, but I have a tractor with a tiller that works great and with a landscape rake following up, that would produce about the same effect and I wouldn't have to buy 2 attachments, just one. Keep the opinions coming, we need a little guidance. Thanks guys!

BTW, the 216 is a great machine. I like how the hydraulic pressure runs at 100% when the throttle isn't at full, thus reducing fuel consumption and keeping full hydraulic power when you want nimbleness in tight areas. When you need more power, the foot pedal is great, and the pilot controls are really nice. The service doors are great as well. I think the design is better than Bobcat IMO. Bobcat is WAY to cluttered back there. Thanks again!

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
Cat is Caterpilar. Well known for machinery

What about an auger for tree planting.
Grapple bucket and hydro jack if your doing concrete work.
Grapple Bucket is also good for tree work, lifting trunks and stumps.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Hey , If you can afford a harley get one! . They run for about 8700 here for a 3 pt model for the back of a tractor I dont know if there is a difference for a skid steer model, I would imagine. Test out both the t-6 and the Pro-6 they both have their appilcations but the tandem of the two works best.

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's the deal. The sales guy called today. He was getting prices on used Cat 216's, since the computer couldn't give him much of anything. My dad got tired of him giving us the run around on prices, so my dad ripped him a new one and told him to sell it to us for 18K for a 300 hr rental unit. We think he will sell it to us for that, with an 8 month warranty. We're also going to pinch them for a suspension seat. Going to get the combo, 4-in-1 bucket and sell them back the standard bucket. We decided a 54 month lease was way too long to be tied down. Also, the sales guy told us that the cost of leasing a new machine dropped the total cost of the machine to 19,500 and if we were to go out and buy a new machine it would be 21,000. :confused: We busted him in the chops for that BS statement. Will keep posted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You may want to take a look at GEHL skid steers, Bought a new one in the beginning of the year, Its one of the larger ones but It's a great machine. They were offering 0% Finance over 4 years. Not only that but I was able to customize it the way I liked it with foot and hand controls.

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Last update, bought the 216 today. Brand new, got it for $21,500 with a deluxe seat and a combo bucket. I looked at Gehl, but no dealers here, that's a downside.

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Lawntek. We had to beat the guy down on his price to get him down to the price we got. I think it was worth it though. It's dad's money and his side of the business, so I'm just the operator. :D

·
Registered
901 Posts
:blob3: Scag, good luck with the CAT, bought a 226 2 years ago and love it, our dealer up here is awesome. they go way overboard for their customers. i have 4 friends in the business who either switched to or just bought there first cat and all love them as well. i had a 300lb weight kit put on which was fabricated by our dealer, ill try to put up a photo in the next day or so. tony

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That would be great, I would like to get a little more lifting capacity. Thought about getting the 226, but I didn't think it was worth the extra $$$ and having to wait 2 weeks or more to get one.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.