1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Used stihl BR340 or new stihl BG86

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Nichols Quality Yard Care, Jun 20, 2009.

?

USED BR340 or NEW BG86

1. USED BR340

58.8%
  2. NEW BG86

41.2%
  1. Nichols Quality Yard Care

Nichols Quality Yard Care LawnSite Member

Ok, I have a buddy who has a used BR340 he is gonna sell me for $230 or I could buy a brand new Stihl BG86 from my dealer for the same price. I like the fact that the handheld has a vaccum/mulch option and it is new. But a backpack would be nice...when it gets closer to fall. What do yall think I should spend the cash on.

2. Cuttinitclose

Cuttinitclose LawnSite Bronze Member

Whats the 340's condition?

3. Nichols Quality Yard Care

Oh yeah. The backpack is in great condition and its a friend who takes care of his gear. i got a great deal from him on an edger.

4. Cuttinitclose

I think there both similar MPH/CFM wise. Do you currently have any type of blower. I have the BG86 and its good for medium duty stuff and I have a BR 600 for the big stuff. I'd say its a toss up, on the back or, in the hand. General rule 8+ min go for BP less than 8 min HH.

5. tlc23

tlc23 LawnSite Member

They were only $299 new.

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Go with the new one......price for used stuff is generally half the amount he is asking.

7. Nichols Quality Yard Care

I guess Im just gonna offer my buddy less...like say $150 and if he dont take it then Ill get the bg89.

I do currently have a hand held older JD pos. Its fine for blowing a few grass clipings around, starts up everytime on pull 1 or 2.

8. Cuttinitclose

Id offer $175 and if no go; do with the BG86.

9. wnccutter

wnccutter LawnSite Member

Sweet Jesus, get the backpack. Dang handhelds are tough on the shoulder joints.

You can thank me later.

BTW, the 340's are tough...practically indestructible. I wouldn't hesitate to go with the 340.

10. wnccutter

wnccutter LawnSite Member

The 340's are commercial grade. Your handheld is not. IMO, it's not really a choice. I wouldn't go near the handheld if I could get my hands on a backpack.

With the backpack you can do leaves, parking lots and etc. Forget that with the handheld...