1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Used Toro Groundmaster 224

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by LEFTY, Aug 29, 2004.

1. LEFTY

LEFTY LawnSite Member

I'M A HOMEOWNER WHO MOWS 5 ACRES AND ON A BUDGET. I FOUND A USED TORO GROUNDMASTER 224 WITH 62 MULCHING DECK. OWNER SAYS IN GOOD CONDITION AND HAS 3000+ HRS AND WAS USED AND WELL MAINTAINED BY A SCHOOL WHERE IT WAS PURCHASED FROM. I THINK I CAN GET IT FOR LESS THAN $1,000. IS THIS A MOWER THAN CAN MOW MY YARD LESS THAN 3HRS? I HAVE NO TREES TO MOW AROUND. WOULD LIKE SOME ADVICE IF GOOD BUY, ETC. ETC. THANKS

2. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

and it was only driven on sundays, just to church, by a little old lady, right? Only funnin' ya. I don't know...3,000 hours on an original motor is a lot of hours. What make and size is the motor? How do the tires look? and then, check the condition of the deck. How is the metal holding up? Check all of the spindles and their bearings for wear. Look at the condition of the belts. Check fluids and grease points. NOW, how many friends do you have. Someone who works with metals? Someone who has a trailer for transportation? Do you know any mechanics, preferrably a small engine man? And lastly, your local lawnmower shops. How many close by? Does one of them handle Toro equipment? Picking this thing to buy, requires the best of friends, if you know what I mean. If you can do a lot of the work and repairs by yourself, you are so much further ahead. It will be like having another child in the family. Think long and hard, and make sure you check it out completely before you jump in. Let us know how you make out, and ask for more help, if you need it.