1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Used trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by columbiaplower, May 5, 2003.

1. columbiaplower

columbiaplower LawnSite Senior Member

I know this is a tuff question, im gonna take a few pictures today which will help you gauge. Its a Big Tex that is 18' x 6' 1/2" and its maybe 3-4 years old. Has a split drop gate. Tadem 3500 lbs axles, angle iron rails, brakes and working lights. It needs a little bit of repairs. A few welds on the side rails and the wood could be replaced in the next couple years and it could use a paint job. The guy wants $1200.00 firm for it which i think is a bit high. A new 18' goes for like $1800-1900. What do you think?
    Thanks
    -Nick

2. gilllawnservice

gilllawnservice LawnSite Member

I would say buy new. The 6-700 dollars in savings you will spend on repairs. In addition, you will still have a trailer that many more years old. Buy new and have no worries.

GLS

3. Wannafish

Wannafish LawnSite Member

Just remember...you get what you pay for...hopefully.

4. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

That price is high for the replacement cost you have quoted. For that little difference in price I would buy new and then have nothing to worry about. Take some pictures and let us know.

Gravely_Man

5. columbiaplower

columbiaplower LawnSite Senior Member

its in better shape then I thought. I needs one weld fixed and thats it. It inspection today and i think im gonna end up paying 1000 for it. Its 3 years old and was being used as a "back up". And i said it Texas Brag but itsa Mid Atlantic. The dealer has a list price of like 2100.
    so i would save some coin.
    -Nick