1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Using bed edgers on gardens

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mickpeg, Apr 12, 2003.

1. mickpeg

mickpeg LawnSite Member

Has anyone used one of the bed edging machines to edge gardens? If so, how well do they work?
    Thanks
    Mickpeg

2. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I use the Brown bed edger all the time...when you say "gardens" I assume you mean planting beds? If the edge is still is pretty good shape I "refresh" the edge by hand. If the edge is gone of if you're installing a new edge, the machine is wonderful...once you use it you'll never want to install new edges by hand again. Rental here is only $65per day and it pays for iteself within the first hour you use it.

BTW you'll find on this site that when you post a landscape ? you will likley get only a few (if you're lucky), responses. Wish it weren't that way but thats been my experience...Now if you ask a ? about mower blades, or striping, etc you'll get buches of replies..

3. Harleyman

Harleyman LawnSite Member
    from NY

we run a turfco bed edger on all our jobs, and it does a great job. It is a cheap machine to purchase the blades are a little wimpy but we got 2 years out of our first blade then i miged a new heavy duty one on the old blade so it should last 4-5 years.
    I purchased the turco because of price and wanted to see how one worked, now that i know if i purchase another one i will step up to a higher priced machine.:blob1:

4. mickpeg

mickpeg LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info.

Do these machines do as clean a job as by hand?
    mickpeg

5. Little Guy

Little Guy LawnSite Member

The brown edger will cut clean for sure the other needs some coordination

Good Luck Lg

6. Harleyman

from NY

The turfco cuts a great edge all you have to do is pick up cut material when you are done.

7. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

whats the price on that turfco model thanks

8. Harleyman

from NY