Using HomeAdvisor

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Joshua Bivens, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Joshua Bivens

Joshua Bivens LawnSite Member

Is anyone familiar with homeAdvisor? Is it worth the $250 investment?

Thanks

2. 97BlackDiesel

97BlackDiesel LawnSite Member

That is a great question. I use it but I live in a rural area. I’m one of a few that do so it’s an advantage but I do get a decent amount of garbage leads.

3. Andrew Carter

Andrew Carter LawnSite Member

Oh... home advisor is not worth the investment they charge you for the leads even if you don’t use them (check out porch.com) they work a lot better with better Quality leads too you don’t get charged unless you take the lead.

4. Kennedylawns

Kennedylawns LawnSite Member

It’s worth it depending on the type of leads you get and how much you work. Definitely gotta have enough capital to burn through for it though.

5. Jmcculler

Jmcculler LawnSite Member

Looked into it last year, heard a lot of stories where people were being billed for fake leads. You get billed just for them sending you the lead, people would call the lead and they would say they don't even know what home advisor is and don't need the service. Just seemed like a lot of garbage to sift through where there is no investment for people to go online and request service but it costing the service provider every time.

6. Andrew Carter

Andrew Carter LawnSite Member

Homeadvisor doesn’t really have a goo rep on the Nextdoor app in your local neighborhoods either, neighbors always complain in the service they off of Homeadvisor ... it’s a lot better to just market and grow your business your self and build your own leads, it adds a little bit of a personal touch and instills trust with the client/customers your work with...

7. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Florida

If you use the search function and look up Home Advisor, you probably can spend most of the morning reading. Some people have had success with it, others not. Others, like myself, refuse to pay for leads. So...it depends.

tonygreek likes this.
  8. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Platinum Member

With the lead gen companies, or any marketing vehicle, I wouldn't put too much stock in blanket statements. You have no idea of the execution or efforts by "Anonymous Bob's Lawn 'n Stuff" or what the HA presence is like in their particular market. Same with Thumbtack. I see market impacting as much as the providers effort and execution.

Talk to other service company owners in your market and see who has used the leads. Find out as much as you can. If you think it might be a fit, set a budget and length of time to test with and see how it goes. Same can be said for Thumbtack, Adwords, or the park bench at the busy intersection.