1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Using trimmer to edge?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AMW Landscaping, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Imperfect Professional

Imperfect Professional LawnSite Member

Using a string trimmer just invites a lousy appearance if you have an inexperienced worker and even the old hands can mess-up or get lazy. Ragged edges invite crabgrass, dallisgrass, etc and breakdown your pre-emergent barrier. Grounds maintenance is a profession for some folks and sloppy work yields minimum wage results. Whatever happened to a work ethic and doing your best? Oh yeah, it got contracted-out with poor specs to the low bidder...

2. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Want to know something funny?

I have a Brickman contract sitting here. It specifically says they will NOT allow string trimmer to be used when edging. As well as there should be a one inch trench
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You are correct it takes a professional to make a nice edge with a trimmer. I say bull to trimmer affecting pre-m more than an edger that throws up a big bunch of dirt. We got 37 years and 10s of thousands of yard done with trimmers only and NO COMPLAINTS?

4. orlawncaresvc

orlawncaresvc LawnSite Senior Member

If you're really good at it, you can use the string trimmer and make it look as good as a stick edger or walk behind edger. Also amazes me how a lot of you on here don't edge weekly. Here edging is a major necessity

5. AMW Landscaping

AMW Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I edge everything when ever i mow. Some i do every other week but for the most part it is every week. Not sure how you can do it like once a month

6. Mikeyd

Mikeyd LawnSite Member

Get an "Edgeit". You won't be sorry.

Mike

7. clydebusa

clydebusa Inactive

I am with you.

8. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Actually faster for me to edge vertically and walk backwards....with a string trimmer. Looks better and my clients rave about my edging. First edge of the season or a new account I typically use my Echo PAS 280 with the edge attachment and/or my Tanaka TLE 600 WB and/or my McClane. Then I go back and edge vertically with a string trimmer to clean out the groove. I prefer Echo Crossfire 0.105" for this duty.

I would not hire anybody unless they could do the same. This limits the hiring pool dramatically. More aps...less mowing is the future. :)

Sadly most grass cutters here don't even run edgers of any kind. Typical burned up scalped edge with a touch of moss clinging to a sliver of turf.

9. LawnGuy110

LawnGuy110 LawnSite Bronze Member

Its trimming the edge though so it works out in the end.:laugh: We use stick edgers for along sidewalks, but for flower beds and what not we use string trimmers flipped

10. Scott's Lawn Maintenance

Scott's Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

I use whatever works best for the property , one of my lawn's is about 4 inches higher then the sidewalk and just looks better when edged with the trimmer . On long stretches I prefer using a edger simply because of feeling uncomfortable . ( physically )
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014