Using turf reinforcement grid for protection?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by oaksandiron, Mar 18, 2019.

1. oaksandiron

oaksandiron LawnSite Member

We are considering purchasing a roll of turf reinforcement to protect turf while we run our tracked dingo. I want to first see if anybody has ever done this successfully, before we make the investment. I figure if it works the way I expect we would save money in damage repair.

2. sehitchman

sehitchman LawnSite Bronze Member

Protection is a good idea, show us what you are looking at.

oaksandiron likes this.
  3. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

A piece of good plywood that's had the sharp corners routed off and has a decent waterproof finish is a much better long term investment for a tracked dingo IMO.

oaksandiron, knox gsl and sehitchman like this.
  4. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Do you mean the grid stuff that’s designed to be laid in the soil permanently so that it can be driven over? If this is the case, I feel like your machine would be likely to push it down into the soil.

A tracked dingo shouldn’t do too much damage in straight lines......I would just lay down plywood or mats where you’ll be turning.

oaksandiron and hort101 like this.
  5. Koehn's Lawn Service

Koehn's Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

All tree companies around here use plywood to drive trucks on in yards works well for them

oaksandiron likes this.
  6. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

I’ve dine the turf mats
    They’re neat
    They really are
    But price wise you’re just coming back to plywood and buying new stuff when it gets too broken up or water logged

The turf mats are heavy and I’ve actuskly gotten a wee lass of two to hurt themselves with them

hort101 and sehitchman like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    oaksandiron

Thanks, all, for your input, it is greatly appreciated.

This is the bottom-rung product we are considering, this 100' roll weighs 88 pounds:
    https://www.amleo.com/turf-reinforcement-6-7-ft-x-100-ft/p/TTR100/

The reason I am considering this versus plywood is because it should be easier to lay out, load and unload when we have longer runs to protect.

If we were to choose to go the plywood route, what is the thinnest we might get by with our 3000 lb machine? I am concerned about weight and awkward moving. And even taking up space in our trailer.

8. sehitchman

sehitchman LawnSite Bronze Member

[​IMG]
    I found tons of these at a surplus outlet. They are for making a grid deck on concrete. I use them for my dingo and wheelbarrows where I'm going to and from repeatedly. They work and store great. For support of my dingo in a fixed work area, I've tried Stall Mats (super heavy) Polyethylene sheets, cut handholds and rope totes (they are heavy and shattered like glass when used in cold temps) Plywood, works, but they break and soak up moisture making them good for a year or less, also heavy and cumbersome. I've probably spent enough to justify a few AlturnaMATS. I've got no experience with the grid mesh roll out stuff, but it would be worth a try. Let us know if the dingo picks it up and winds it up in the undercarriage creating a mess.

9. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

We use half inch and quarter inch with full weight bobcats and excavators and small dump trucks

That roll will get muddy and wet
    Won’t roll up as neatly and easily as you think

There’s a reason everyone uses plywood....
    Hey where did someone put that turf mat?
    Did you leave it at the last property?

It’s never where you need it when you need it

No customer ever calls you to tell you you left your turf mat behind
    Muddy wet plywood? Hey! You left that here!

oaksandiron and sehitchman like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    oaksandiron

That would NOT be cool.

So I am leaning more toward the plywood now that I know we could get away with 1/4". I know it will have a limited shelf life, which was a big one on my con list. I did also consider how much mess the grid would make when we tried to roll it back up.

I am still going to keep my eye out for some of those grid deck squares, because those would still be awesome for small areas and wheelbarrow tracks.

Really appreciate the insight ya'll have offered. Cheers.

hort101 likes this.