1. Ask the Expert TODAY!
    Learn how to do more with less when it comes to your fertilization services. Gather your top questions about fertilization and nutrient management and join the live Ask the Expert event hosted by Koch Turf & Ornamental TODAY at 12-2 p.m. ET in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

Using WD-40 to Prevent Grass Sticking

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by oak-knoll-farm, May 12, 2002.

1. oak-knoll-farm

oak-knoll-farm LawnSite Member

I use my Lazer-Z XP w/72 in deck and Gator blades to cut about 15 acres of lawn and pasture each week. It takes only 4-5 hours, including trimming under the length of 1/2 mile of plastic horse fence. After I finish mowing, I usually jack up the front end of the mower with a farm jack and scrape the underside with a wide-blade plastic drywall type scraper (less than a $1 each) and then wash it off with a high-pressure water hose. When it is dry, I spray the entire bottom surface with WD-40. To save $$, I buy WD-40 by the gallon and use a plastic spray bottle. This seems to be working fine and I have had very little problems with grass sticking to the underside and buildup while cutting.

Question, does anyone know of any downside to doing this and using WD-40 on the underside of my mower deck?

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Oak-Noll,

From an equipment stand point I don't know of anything you'll effect under the mower deck.

I would also recommend that if the lawn is wet, lush or in spring like conditions that you try something other than the "gator". Not that the "gator" is a bad blade, it just may not be the "best" blade for wet conditions.

Thanks

Terry