utility locate for aerating

tdoeizreal

LawnSite Senior Member
Does anyone call in to locate utilities before aerating. Mainly concerned with hitting the new fiber optic cabals they install these days. I never have or had any issues but this is my first year with a ride on that can pull deep plugs. I've been talking with a local company that calls in all of there residential and commercial properties because they have hit lines before. But they're the first company I've heard of doing this.

rippinryno

LawnSite Gold Member
No, at 3" depth you shouldnt' have to worry about anything and if you hit a fiber. they should be laying 30" deep for fiber, but I've seen some laying in the grass for the entire season lol.

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
I would, it's free and they don't bury cables deep at all, if you hit it you are liable

OP
tdoeizreal

tdoeizreal

LawnSite Senior Member
No, at 3" depth you shouldnt' have to worry about anything and if you hit a fiber. they should be laying 30" deep for fiber, but I've seen some laying in the grass for the entire season lol.
those ones you're talking about aren't 30". They just bury them with a hand spade. I'm sure they are supposed to be more than 3" so I didn't really see an issue. I was just a little thrown off when I heard this other company had hit them and been charged. It's the first I've head of this.

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
I would if I were you. If you hit a fiber without it being marked you are liable, depending on the length it could be 1000 charge to you.

Mark Oomkes

LawnSite Fanatic
So assuming you do get it located, are you going to avoid those areas (36") or hand dig?

I tore up a phone line renovating a lawn. Didn't get it located. Repair guy told me I should have. I told him it should have been more than 4" deep. Never got a bill.

Never have, never will.

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
You can and give them the addresses, or have each residence call.