Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 5x8 expanded metal utility trailer with intention to run some left over boards along the width of the trailer to turn entire floor into wooden floor instead of expanded metal. After buying the trailer and getting together my materials it dawned on me that I have never seen a trailer run boards along the width but all are run length wise of trailer. Are there any safety considerations or structural reasons not to run the boards in this manner? I have wood from other project left over and want to maximize my material value.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just quick thoughts. The bracing my not be laid in a manner to support boards ran widthwise on your trailer. Also, you may have trouble shoveling if one board ends up a little high than those next to it. There’s probably more to it that others with more experience can weigh in on.

·
Registered
7,631 Posts
I would think that boards laid "across" (side to side vs front to back) are going to create "bumps" as they change shape with different weather/temps. It may not be an issue for a larger mower, but rolling a push mower on may not be as effortless as if the boards were running front to back.

I also agree that the framing underneath may not be suited for placing the boards side to side, and may result in sagging.
I'd have to look at it to verify. (and I don't feel like going outside and crawling under mine right now. LOL )

I know you have the materials on hand already, but I've been running mine for 12 years with plywood over the mesh.
I just run some bolts through the mesh openings at each end and use washers underneath larger than the mesh opening - I don't even bolt it to the frame - just through the mesh across the front and at the back. Drill up from underneath rather than trying to drill down and trying to line it up with a mesh opening. Easy peasy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts