UTV for landscaping/lawn care /plowing

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV' started by rstojkov, May 14, 2018.

1. rstojkov

rstojkov LawnSite Member

Hi all. How many of you run a UTV for anything lawn care/landscaping/plowing? I was thinking of getting one and getting rid of my plow for my F250. I figured I can use it for landscaping and lawn care work as well. Whether it be mulch, pulling away tarps of leaves, and the biggest one yet, plowing. I've been browsing for a while and was looking at the John Deere RSX. It seems to be the best combination of work and play, and we all know play should be considered as well. Any opinions are appreciated.

2. Ozark5179

Ozark5179 LawnSite Member

Last year we bought a Polaris Ranger XP900 with a dump bed, glass windshield and a front mounted winch. 68HP, 2000# capacity, a real workhorse. We are buying a Boss snowplow (specially made for the Ranger) and in 4WD mode, it's a real mule ... will go anywhere and climb any hill ... we use it to take our logging gear into rough ravines, and it will jump right over 12" felled trees, no problem. We really like it.

3. Capt J-rod

Capt J-rod LawnSite Member

I have a Kubota rtv900 diesel. It is a beast. We plow, spray, and work the hell out of it. I had a Kawasaki mule 4010 before this and it was a solid machine as well. We had over 5000 hours on the mule when we retired her. Never had a problem. The diesel is a lot stronger. I do have a block heater on the Kubota for winter. It mostly lives in a heated shop, but it does make a difference when it is outside.

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Replace a truck with a UTV?

5. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Gold Member
    from WV

I know this isn't plowsite but I know some guys that have replaced plow trucks with UTVs in HOA environments.

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

I get that...but he's talking about selling his truck and only using a UTV.

7. gcbailey

from WV

I just read it as "getting rid of my plow for my F250", keeping the truck just loosing the plow. Which it is over a year old and the OP never replied so who knows... Maybe the guy is stuck on the interstate pulling a tandem axle trailer with that JD.

JackMcCartin and Mark Oomkes like this.
  8. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Tell you what. If you do this go with one of the boss hydraulic plows.
    I put a 5' with 6" wings on my grizzly fourwheeler and its really great. Clears and pushes a lot of snow.
    Get power steering you're going to need it!

Oops, just realized someone resurrected an old thread... hate when that happens.

9. gcbailey

from WV

I think you just re-resurrected it again.... ;)