UTV Sprayer (DIY or Buy)

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mesquitekiller, Mar 16, 2019.

1. mesquitekiller

mesquitekiller LawnSite Member

Hello all!

I'm looking for a 35-40 gallon sprayer to use for individual plant treatment of Sendero to mesquite that I can put in the cargo bed of my Polaris Ranger. I'll only be using a spray gun, so no boom attachments needed. I sprayed 5000 acres last season (shortened season) with a 25 gallon sprayer that was older and thrown together so am looking to upgrade to be more efficient since I'm looking at 10,000 acres as a goal for this year. With the UTV setup, I drive with one hand, hold the spray gun in the other, and occasionally get out to reach more places at once.

I know there are a lot of expensive options out there so I feel handy enough to build my own, I just need a guide or advice on how to do so. At the 35-40 gallon range, I think it would be a lot cheaper, but would want to build it right and reliable - any suggestions on best pumps, tools to use to attach and drill into the tank, spray gun, etc. If I'm feeling fancy, I'd get a hose reel as well.

Of course, if anyone knows of any good deals or great setups out there that I should look into buying, I'm open to that as well!

Thanks for the help!

2. AnotherOkie

AnotherOkie LawnSite Senior Member
    from Newalla

Not sure where you are located, but by your name, I'm guessing OK,TX,or NM. I would check out wylie sprayer. Lots of options and good people. I've 4 if their 200 gal skids, a 50 gal skid with a 12v pump and hose reel and 2 25 gallon atv sprayer with 14 ft boom. I think that 50 gal skid would be nice for what you are doing. It is called a 50 gal Pronto.

mesquitekiller likes this.
  3. mesquitekiller

mesquitekiller LawnSite Member

Good catch, haha. I'm in the TX Panhandle, and there's a few Wylie stores near me. I'll drop in and see what they have to say! I want to save on costs as much as possible (I mean geez, I sprayed 4800 acres with a hand me down, ranch cowboy pieced together 25-gallon spot sprayer last season). I may see if they can just replace that tank with a 40 but the same pump and spray gun. I'm afraid to go larger than 40 even though my polaris has a 1000 lb cargo bed capacity because I'm spraying in rough country (it's not all lovely and flat up here), up and down ravines and plateaus, etc. The stuff sloshes around a lot and the added weight could harm my suspension in the bumpy stuff.

4. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

So the rural kings/tractor supply sell sprayer packages for a couple hundred bucks. They're not as nice as those units available commercially but why not start there and upgrade the pump, reel, etc if necessary?
    I was poking around on sprayerdepot.com the other day, could piece your own together from there.