• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Vacuum Question

vacgirl

LawnSite Member
Looking at an 18-25 hp. vacuum for a 3500 dually with a leaf box, no trailer. How many hours of vacuuming before the truck would be full? I'm talking half a day vs. whole day, just an average.
Also, a front-mounted unit seems pretty sensible. Anyone know of a reason not to go this route? Or a reason to buy something other than Giant Vac or Billy Goat?
Thanks

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

LawnSite Senior Member
Front mount definitely the way to go. I'd buy the 25hp loader. As for how long to fill depends on where the leaves are, how wet they are, etc. My leaf box is on the small side, about 240 cubic feet (short bed truck). I can fill my truck in about 20 to 45 minutes. You didn't say if your 3500 is a dump or truck, but I'd guess a box built 6ft tall would take about the same time to fill with the 18hp as it takes me to fill my truck with the 16hp. I'm sure there are many who have close to what you have and will give you better info than mine. Welcome to LS. :waving:

2low4NH

LawnSite Bronze Member
i have an 11hp truck loader on my one ton the box is 7x9x5 i can fill it in about an hour maybe an hour and a half. it all depends on how many leaves are on the property. normal residential clean ups i can do 3 1/4-1 acre lots. it all depends on the amount of material. the bigger the box the better and make sure the box is vented at the top.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

LawnSite Senior Member
Good point 2low! Keep the top of the box open and cover with a mesh tarp. Best place to buy is tractor supply.

OP
V

vacgirl

LawnSite Member
Thanks! That's actually faster than I thought. And we're probably going with a dump insert. The Truck Craft 150 leaf box looks sweet, but I'm guessing it's going to be cost prohibitive. I'm getting used to the thought of plywood sides on a used insert!

johnnybravo8802

LawnSite Silver Member
I also depends on the size of the leaves. Some people will mulch once or twice so they can get a lot more in one load. The people who do this swear by this method.

2low4NH

LawnSite Bronze Member
nothing wrong with a plywood box. mine is plywood and 2x4's painted to match the truck with painted on maple leaves and a big phone number. just make sure you paint the box or it will be junk after a year