1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

valve adjustment...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sailinstud420, Dec 19, 2004.

1. sailinstud420

sailinstud420 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 19 kawai (FH601V) with 1200 hrs on it. I have heard of adjusting the valves but am not sure exactly as to how to do it and what the gap is supposed to be. I have a gap checker, and I know you want the piston at TDC to measure. Does anyone know what the gap is supposed to be? What all do you have to take off to do this? I am assuming the valve cover has to come off for sure. What do you actually do to adjust them? Is this something I dare do or leave it to the pro's?

2. sailinstud420

someone round here has to know something... come on. don't be shy..

3. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

My manual sais nothing about valve adjustment. Im not sure, but I think the Kaw 17 has hydraulic lifters that dont require adjustment. Someone please correct me if your sure Im wrong. I only have two Kaws and not real familiar with them

4. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

I do recall seeing that in a manuel. But I think that would be a big job to do if you dont know what you are doing engine wise. imo i will look for info on the gap tomorrow.

5. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We have that same engine on two of our Scag Tiger Cubs, how is the engine holding up so far and what machine is it on? I will check our owners manual and see what it says about that.

6. sailinstud420

the engine is on a 2000 exmark TT w/ a 52" deck. The engine has been great. I bought the mower used with 1100 hours or so on it, and I only put about a 120 or so on it this summer. It runs fine, I just want to make sure it continues to do so. It is a little on the light side for power, I would love a 22hp. I don't know how people have a 52" with a 17 hp on it. I'd check the manual but I don't have one. Thanks for the help so far.