Valve replacement pics...

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Jason Rose, Feb 13, 2006.

  1. Jason Rose

    Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,858

    This is the first I took, about 3/4 of the way down. shows the wonderful CONCRETE box the valves are nested in, as well as the main valve, it's under the concrete box somewhere...

    The 1" line you see cut is the sump pump line for the basement, it run right over where I needed to be so it got the chop for now!

  2. Jason Rose

    Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,858

    Here's the next... The main line is 40" deep from ground level to the top of the pipe. Code here is 30" normally...

    I had already removed the old gate valve, those are my pliers I left in the hole. Being in there with both arms head first WAS NOT FUN! I could just BARELY reach what I needed to work on and still maintain enough of me out of the hole to keep from going in all the way.

    P.s. you like their idea of a blow out? Yes that's a valve stem for a car wheel...

  3. Jason Rose

    Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,858

    New valve installed! it's a Champion stop valve with a built in check feature. It's what Ewing irriration had and it's what they sell to everyone for main valves... $20 for a 1". good enough for me! All brass, certianly looks like it will outlast me. Did I mention the line is 40" deep... yeah... the hole itself is 48".

  4. advanced irrigation

    advanced irrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from tx
    Messages: 270

    those arn't fun. i ran into a job a couple of months ago and i had to dig down to tie into the water main. (supposed to be 2" but was 1") anyways , come to find out it was 4 foot deep buries inder a fence t-eed off elbowing down and turning running right under the fence. the guy has a 1 1/2" meter and a 1" main........hmmmmm, didn't expect that. would have took me all day, but i called my dad's backhoe company and he had it dig in about 20 minutes. talk about a giant hole to fill. i wish i had time to snap some shots, i never seem to have the time to stop. good luck on that. are you going to rip out the concrete?hammer
  5. Dirty Water

    Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 6,794

    Is that a globe style valve or a gate valve?

    I'm not a huge fan of gate valves on mainlines.
  6. Jason Rose

    Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,858

    Just a general pic of the whole box and the mountian I made...

    All in all, I think it went good. I called 3 people to help me out, just to be a spotter to pull on my legs in case I got in too far, but OF COURSE nobody answers their phones... lol!

    I'm also going to move the blow-out into the valve box, where it should be in the first place. where it's at is right in front of a faucet and he said the hose is always getting caught on it. May as well fix that since the hole is open.

    Oh yes, these were taken with a camera phone, in case you couldn't tell. :laugh:

  7. Jason Rose

    Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,858

    The old one was a gate, this one is a Globe. I guess I called it a "stop" valve. Has the round flat on the end of the handle that's horizontal in the valve. this mates down on top of a slightly smaller round opening to stop the water. No place for sediment to accumilate like in a gave valve...

    Oh, and the concrete box will stay. Untill the elec. valves need replaced there's nothing wrong with the concrete box. he has a really really fancy cover he made for it too. If a valve fails, likely a soleniod I will try to find replacement parts for the valves as opposed to tearing the whole box out. they are too close together to be removed without taking the whole manifold out anyway.
  8. PurpHaze

    PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,496

    Looks like you did a fine job of replacing the valve under extreme circumstances of depth and having that concrete box so close. Good job. clapping
  9. PurpHaze

    PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,496

    Now I'm getting confused. I always thought that gate referred to the method of shutting down the water via a screw-type stem that closes down onto some type of seat (disc/washer, wedged, resilient wedge, etc.) and that globe was a configuration basically meaning "straight through" and having a spherical body shape as opposed to angle style meaning "making a turn". Straight is often referred to by plumbing supply houses when the liquid goes straight through. :)
  10. Jason Rose

    Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,858

    Wow, now I don't have a clue as to what kinda valve I installed :dizzy:

    I always think of 3 types: Gate, Ball, and Stop valves

    Gate, having a flat plate that is pulled up by the screw handle for On and pushed down for Off. The gate is seated between two ridges on the inside of the valve.

    A Stop valve is the type I installed, they can be oriented as a straight or angle type body, on both the sealing surface is horizontal so that debris or sediment can't interfere with the closing of the valve.

    And a Ball valve, is just what the name states, a ball with holes in it on both sides than when roatated 90* will either allow or stop flow.

    Granted I'm talking about 2" and smaller valves... I think definitions tend to change, plus there are totally different types of valves available with the larger sizes.

    These are just my thinkings... I'm probably wrong hammer

Share This Page