1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Van Owners

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mowZ06, Jun 19, 2012.

1. mowZ06

mowZ06 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I just bought a 2003 Chevy 2500 Express Cargo Van. My main truck is an 02 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 with the 8.1 and 4:10 rear . This truck has been real good to me with 125,000 miles so far. I pull a basic 16ft lawn trailer with it almost every day of the week with a 36,52 walk behind and a 60 Lazer. I was thinking about a back up truck just in case of a break down and thought I would get more use out of the van since mondays are usually a odd job day and I just started to get into the lawn treatment side of the business with around 20 so far. Vans are great for hauling flowers,fert,etc. Does anyone here use one to pull a 16 ft trailer full of mowers ? I hooked it up today to my trailer fully loaded and seemed to do ok with the load behind it.

2. precision8m

precision8m LawnSite Senior Member

Your van is a 2500 which means it has just about the same towing and hauling capabilities as your truck. For a 2500, thats normally at least 10,000 lbs, so you should be good for most things. A 16 ft trailer with three mowers on it will weigh about 4,000 to 5,000 lbs.
    Using a van is actually a good call. You can carry more and keep plenty of spare parts and small items on hand while your small equipment is more secure. I think that more of us would be using vans if they were as cool to have as trucks.

3. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

there is a larger greenhouse/nursery local that uses 3/4-1 ton cargo vans in conjunction with enclosed trailers, dump trailers. They are lettered up real nice and are very versatile for them. I know in one of the vans they have it setup with about 4 shelves in the back that would allow a shelf of hand tools, a couple shelves of flowers, shrubs, whatever. Real flexible.

4. mowZ06

mowZ06 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I used the van today with my trailer for my mowing and it worked out fine. Mowed 15 today and man was it hot out. The only thing I need to do is buy a different slide in hitch to raise the ball up since the van sits so much lower then my truck.