• How has the weather been in your neck of the woods?
    We are looking for feedback from our membership to see how/what the weather has been like in your area. Please Click here to take our Winter Weather Survey, we would appreciate it.

Vanguard 23hp Idle adjustment

ArTurf

LawnSite Fanatic
I need to lower idle speed, factory set at around 1750 but would like to set to below 1300. One place I read on B & S website says cast iron models should be set to 1250. Mine is cast iron model #386447-0024-G1. Downloaded manual and it says do no adjust any carb settings. The only screw I see is probably the idle adjustment screw but the plate is not contacting the set screw. If I turn the set screw in it will only increase RPM's. The various springs and linkages are holding the plate off of the screw. Any way to lower the RPM's?

OP
A

ArTurf

LawnSite Fanatic
Engine runs best at factory specs why change it? It would probably hurt, surge or die at that low rpm
The engine is connected to a CVT transmission which engages at 1350 RPM so a lower idle speed is needed to disengage the transmission when stopped and shifting in/out of gear

BigFish

LawnSite Fanatic
Yer motor probably has the governed idle set-up on it. Check yer service manual fer adjustments.

OP
A

ArTurf

LawnSite Fanatic
Not to be snoopy, but which mower had a CVT transmission?
Not a mower but a UTV

Don’t know what is has for clutches but if like a snowmobile you can put a stiffer initial primary spring to raise engagement.
I've been thinking the same thing if I can't get the idle speed down. Thought about stretching the current spring out a little if possible