Vanguard oil filters

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Eric502, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Eric502

Eric502 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Kentucky

Another thread had me thinking about this. What oil filter brand has users been buying for their Vanguard engines? I have a new 37efi on a TTII that specs a 842921 filter (& is what came on it). I have called B&S and they state that this part number is all that is listed for this engine. Course there is not a lot of room on this mower for a longer filter. Seems to me though that also similar are part numbers 492932S & 696854.... though I have no idea of any differences.

I do not know who makes B&S filters, and I do not know how good of quality they are. And also per B&S, "you are strongly encouraged to use B&S oil filters while the engine is under warranty." So what does everyone know about these filters, any good etc...

2. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

honestly man an oil filter is an oil filter. they are all pretty much made the same way for mower engines. heck i ran a fram oil filter which is the worst one made on my old toyota truck and it was well over 300k miles with no problems when i sold it. an oil filter isn't gonna make or break an engine. just use the briggs oil filter and the vanguard oil too.

Eric502 likes this.
  3. Eric502

Eric502 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Kentucky

What I do find interesting is how one MFG (B&S for instance) can have three different filters that as per some sites (not B&S) all inter-relate and cross reference. Course if you wish to take it a step further, some of the after market filters have better specs such as filtering out down to smaller microns or at a higher efficiency. Also intersting is how the pressure relief rating can change. B&S, wix, and napa are all around similar specs (7-9).... Donaldson though is a little higher (12-15).

4. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i dunno why they do that. kawi has like 5 different filters or something and they all can work on any of their engines. it just makes no sense. they should just make 1 filter. why is that so hard to do? they like to keep people confused.

Eric502 likes this.