• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Vanguard RPM adjustment

M&M Mowing

LawnSite Member
I'm interested in adjusting the engine RPM on my TT2. It has the 35hp Vanguard. I have a small engine tach so I can read the RPM. I've adjusted every Kawasaki I've ever owned but I'm not finding an adjustment screw on the Vanguard. Thanks.

Eric502

LawnSite Senior Member
If it is the same as my 37 efi.... it will be like what is in the pic. See the screw my scredriver is touching? if yours is not like this then you likely adjust the rpms by loosening the clamp on the throttle cable and pulling it in or out.
20180624_110144.jpg

ktoom

LawnSite Member
I had to bump up the rpm's on my 37hp efi which is on my Ferris 3200. The rpms were set at 3250rpm from the factory, so i set it to 3600rpm.

Anybody every set the rpms higher than 3600?

Eric502

LawnSite Senior Member
mine is at 3680 with the blades engaged and at wot. without the blades and at wot it equates to around 3800rpms

Hawkshot99

LawnSite Silver Member
Anybody every set the rpms higher than 3600?
When are you measuring? I have my rpm's set to 3600 when mowing(blades spinning/hydrostatic turning). This means they are 3750-3800 @ no blades. I turn down the throttle when not running the deck just to be safe.

ktoom

LawnSite Member
When are you measuring? I have my rpm's set to 3600 when mowing(blades spinning/hydrostatic turning). This means they are 3750-3800 @ no blades. I turn down the throttle when not running the deck just to be safe.
Im measuring at wide open with no load. I always thought thats how they were to be set? Ive tried to research this topic, but dont find exactly what im looking for. Ive tried to find service manuals online, but havent looked hard enough.

What is your take on this?

Hawkshot99

LawnSite Silver Member
Im measuring at wide open with no load. I always thought thats how they were to be set? Ive tried to research this topic, but dont find exactly what im looking for. Ive tried to find service manuals online, but havent looked hard enough.

What is your take on this?
I get much better results with more rpm. I set so its 3600 mowing.

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
I have my FX850 set to 3700 at WOT, no load. That gives me 3620-3640 with the blades on and 3580- 3600 under load and under way in the grass. I have a tach mounted to mine as well.