vantage or v ride?

cubsfan1

LawnSite Member
In the market for a new stander. I have a exmark dealer in my town but the nearest scag dealer is 30 min away. Scag has the zero for 48 months right now plus 20 percent off. What do u guys think the better machine is and would it be worth getting the v ride and not be close if I needed parts quickly.

Jimslawncareservice

LawnSite Platinum Member
Exmark has 0% for 36. My opinion on this is scag might be tougher and I like the controls placement better. The scag also tears turf easily, and the controls are stiff. You also need to move your weight all over to not skid down hills or when going across them. On the exmark the controls are a lot smoother not as stiff. I also don't need to move all over and hang over the.edge not to skid all over. I prefer the ultra cut qoc better on well maintained turf. If you are going to cut a jungle you will want the velocity deck. I would like to see the donaldson air cleaner on the exmark.
Posted via Mobile Device

ommegang

LawnSite Member
When I was deciding, the Vantage was $500 cheaper and I went with the Scag because FX VS FS Kwai motors. And, Exmark didn't have anti scalp rollers and Scag's deck had the best overall opinion. Further, the Vantage looks like a Borg to me. Since, I have purchased a 36" grandstand too, on the cheap. No hrs mowing yet mind you. The platform does seem and feel wider. The scag hydros are tight and the Toro are loose and thinner - I prefer the scag. The springs on the scag work. The rubber tapered bushings on the Toro wear i notice with only 60hrs on the machine. The red is more $ too vs the orange. Plus the red pricing is top secret, no internet pricing. I did not like that whatesoever. I need to do research b4 a big purchase. I think that's a big mistake on thier part. I do like the vaiable speed control on the Toro howerver. Seems like that could be very usefull. If the red had an FX it would be easier to compaer $.

Last edited:

ommegang

LawnSite Member
Oh yeah, forgot obout the other overpriced stander. Probabally because thier decks have been inferior until they introduced thier new deck which is the best deck ever now, right? I never even considered a Wright due to the price relative to others. I can't justify the caddilac of standers. Altough, if they can hold a hill like a WB then perhaps. Never used a Wright. By paramount concern was cut and dispersal so, the Scag had the best reviews.

Procareope

LawnSite Member
When I was deciding, the Vantage was $500 cheaper and I went with the Scag because FX VS FS Kwai motors. And, Exmark didn't have anti scalp rollers and Scag's deck had the best overall opinion. Further, the Vantage looks like a Borg to me. Since, I have purchased a 36" grandstand too, on the cheap. No hrs mowing yet mind you. The platform does seem and feel wider. The scag hydros are tight and the Toro are loose and thinner - I prefer the scag. The springs on the scag work. The rubber tapered bushings on the Toro wear i notice with only 60hrs on the machine. The red is more $ too vs the orange. Plus the red pricing is top secret, no internet pricing. I did not like that whatesoever. I need to do research b4 a big purchase. I think that's a big mistake on thier part. I do like the vaiable speed control on the Toro howerver. Seems like that could be very usefull. If the red had an FX it would be easier to compaer $.
Being a Scag dealer, I'm partial, but I think you got it right here. The Grandstand and Vantage both have a lot of unnecessary moving parts which is something to consider when calculating long term maintenance. Furthermore, the Kawasaki FS engine has had some issues in the past with starters going bad, and particularly in the Grandstand and Vantage, with over heating. Note the giant heat shield/weight at the front of the Grandstand and Vantage. If you take a thermometer and take the operating temperature of an FS series engine that has been run hard in a Grandstand/Vantage, you'll find temperatures over 600 degrees, 200 degrees hotter than recommended running temperature. I've seen dipsticks melt in these machines with these FS series engines. Now they may have corrected the issue on the newest releases, but it is something to be aware of. A Velocity deck is a Velocity deck, if you've used one then you know, if you haven't then you really need to. Scag is running some pretty serious promo's on the V-Rides right now as well.