1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Variable Speed Pump???

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by trailboss, Sep 18, 2007.

  1. trailboss

    trailboss LawnSite Member
    Messages: 206

    We have built many Ponds, Waterfalls and Creeks but they have all had consistent waterflow over the fall.
    We currently have a customer that has asked if it possible to vary the amount of water coming over the waterfall. I know that we could do a couple of pumps and each one have its own switch - but I was curious if anyone has ever come across some sort of variable speed pump that could be controlled from a switch inside? Or a valve that could accomplish the same?
    Any input and or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
  2. LTL

    LTL LawnSite Member
    from Tulsa
    Messages: 98

    Use a ballvalve
  3. trailboss

    trailboss LawnSite Member
    Messages: 206

    We usually put a ball valve on our falls to adjust flow - but this customer would like the ability to control the flow from inside. Maybe half the play during the day while nobody is home (to keep it circulating) then in the evening or when entertaining have the full show.
  4. n2h20

    n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 503

    there are 2"-3" jandy 3 way valves that could be set up on a timer, switch (inside the house) or if you really want to get crazy, your cell phone.
    I would check out a pool supply place such as S.C.P. They are all over the country.
    Any questions, ask away.
  5. trailboss

    trailboss LawnSite Member
    Messages: 206

    With a 3 way valve like this and one pump, would I use a Y and two valves?
    Also, how can these be controlled - irrigation timer??
    Thanks Again for the info.
  6. n2h20

    n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 503

    it is a 3 way valve. One side in 2 sides out or 2 in and one out. The valve itself will adjust the flow.
    You would set it up, lets say... discharge side of the pump it goes into this valve (1 side in) and the other 2 sides, 1 goes to the waterfall and the the second side back to the pond (2 sides out)
    There is an electronic control mechanism that you install within the valves, the wires run to a controller for this type of valve. The name of the valve is a JANDY valve. The controller will then operate the valve.

    i don' know where cowtown is or i could direct you to the nearest S.C.P. Pool supply wherehouse. :)

  7. horizonlandscape

    horizonlandscape LawnSite Member
    from usa
    Messages: 30

    I would look at installiing a 2 speed external pond pump. The rpm's can range from 1750 for low speed (less water) and 3250 for high speed (more water). This will give you and the customer what you are looking for and the pump will operate efficently.

    Darron Bryant
  8. n2h20

    n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 503

    those two speed pump can get pretty high in energy costs. check the amperage.

Share This Page