Vehicle Insurance Question...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by biggin69, Mar 7, 2007.

  1. biggin69

    biggin69 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 142

    If I get commercial tags for my truck, do I need to change my insurance? Do I need commercial tags for tax purposes (mileage deduction)?
  2. Runner

    Runner LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 13,497

    No, but you would be foolish not to have commercial insurance on your truck(s). A claim is EASILY denied by an insurance company if they know you are using the vehicle commercially. well, guess what...The only way they are going to find out is IN the event of a claim...So, in a sense, you are paying for nothing if you are paying for regular insurance,...because as soon as they view a report from an accident, that information will very easily and very LIKELY be on it. It happens all the time. The other people want to make a claim, and your insurance ends up sending you a letter telling you that all bets are off. Bottom line is....cover your 6 o'clock.
  3. Cut n Edge Lawncare

    Cut n Edge Lawncare LawnSite Member
    Messages: 47

    get one, you have lots to learn. I got one and shes worth her weight in gold. The money she has saved me has way more than paid her fees. Shes smokin hot too:dancing:
  4. TSG

    TSG LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 444

    This week I put my truck in "service" and changed my insurance from
    personal to only cost 150/yr.
    Just do it.
  5. biggin69

    biggin69 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 142

    Thanks, I will change my insurance as soon as I change my tags!

    WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,413

    Hey how you been you still getting your ducks in a row I see.
    I say you should CYA any way you can. :hammerhead: I know your postion your try to be in. So check all the avenues. THe insurance does not cost that much for million dollar policies even thou nothing ever happens (Knock on wood) :hammerhead:
  7. biggin69

    biggin69 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 142

    Josh, i am doing good. I mailed in my apps for name registration & Service vendors license over a week ago and have still yet to here or reciev anything (how long does this take?)! Been on the phone for two days straight getting quotes on insurance. Purchased a brand new Exmark 36" Metro to replace my 1986 Toro WB a couple of weeks ago. Totally rebuilt & painted my trailer last weekend. Been stuffing flyers into doorknob bags for what seems like forever and am still not done (will get door hangers next time). Getting some quote on signs (magnetic) for my truck.....Now I just hope & get some customers and make some $$$.

    How have you been?

    Any advice on the autobiography that I just typed:dizzy:?
  8. fiveoboy01

    fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,988

    Also probably the best thing you can do is ask your insurance company. They can give you a straight answer.

    WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,413

    Sounds like your on the right track. Digimax in milford does viny. You should not pay mor than $14.00 to $20.00 ea. Let me know when your ready for your signs I have another person to they are doing my LOGO and my Truck here soon. OH BTW we have an OHIO thread on here now local guys networking good guys from Plow site.
  10. mdvaden

    mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,946

    If only you drive the truck, and if you use it for personal too - like in my case - some insurance providers have almost what's a "utility" type insurance. A bit higher than personal, but lower than commercial.

    So its an option.

    Either way, many if not most insurers want you insured for commercial to some degree.

Share This Page