Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

· Registered
3,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the biggest pet peeve's of mine is other LCOs that don't have signage on their vehicles. I like to see who's out there, and appreciate it when an LCO takes the time to identify themselves. It makes them look a lot more professional. And I'm always looking for other Lawn Site people. No offense, but I see these guys with no signage on their vehicles and I think "scrub". It makes them look less professional, and more like some ******* with a lawnmower. And I think it gives us all a bad name. People see that any goofball with a mower can do the job, and it takes the professionalism out of the business. All I do is put magnetic signs on my truck, but it still identifies me. They cost less than $100 for a pair. Plus, it's major advertising!

So I'm starting a campaign to get everyone identified!

· Registered
3,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by dvmcmrhp52
Sorry,You won't see me with any signage.Nope, no scrub either.
I'd rather choose the people I want to deal with rather than them choosing us.JMO.
So you don't ever advertise, or respond to requests for estimates/bids?

And beyond that, don't you want to identify yourself and your work?

I always think people that don't identify themselves have something to hide. Not you, just people in general.

· Registered
885 Posts
Appearance is a big factor when I do biz. with someone I agree with mtd. I like signage. I just had a big one professionally done for the back of my trailer (tailgate) that I'd show but I have know digital camera.

· Registered
953 Posts
you need special insurance on your trucks in my area.plus even if its a 1/2 ton truck it needs commercial plates

· Banned
8,283 Posts
Obviously we quote jobs,But they are always referred by someone we already know or do business with.Just picked up a number of properties from someones partner who we've been maintaining a house for.He is impressed with what we are doing.
It works for us.......probably not for everyone though.

· Registered
69 Posts
No signs on my truck here - Not a ******* (at least no wheels on my house )- with a ton of equipment behind me and I am usually pretty busy- I consider my self a Srub- But I am a part timer-

Most of the work I get is through word of mouth :D

· Registered
14,876 Posts
I was forced to get different ones for my truck this year, as well. They must be placed in the doors of the truck if it an open back. If the vehicle is enclosed, such as a cube van, then they can be on the back. Just the trailer is not good enough. They must be on the doors, and letters must be atleast 3 inches tall. Sign must include comany name, city, and state. This was all "learned" real fast from the State Police Carrier Control Division.

· Registered
1,613 Posts
Sorry, no pics here either. I designed my own signs and constantly get compliments on it. Heck, it's the best looking part of my '81 Chevy. lol Great work truck, but just not the best looking truck on the road. The reason I have a sign on my truck is free advertising. It's helped me get a lot of accounts. I don't believe in referrals only, but want as many accounts as possible in each area of the city I operate. Just common sense; less travel time=more profit.

· Registered
1,948 Posts
Originally posted by mtdmaster
All I do is put magnetic signs on my truck, but it still identifies me. They cost less than $100 for a pair.
Personally, magnetic signs seem cheesey to me. The cost of vinyl lettering is so inexpensive and looks 100% better, I'd never think of getting magnetic signs. Also, a magnetic sign shows temporary to me, not committed, part time work, additional cash, etc.. That's just my opinion though. Also, some people have the work load they need and may not want to be bothered by passers by. I know that with our equipment lettered, we pull a lot of work from them. I just landed a $9500 paver job tonite because our enclosed trailer was lettered. We were doing another paver job and the couple walked by, took the number off the trailer and the rest is history. It's really to each his own.

· Registered
437 Posts
I totally agree with you mtd master! I've gotten alot of buisness off my signs. I have one on my truck, and a rolling bilbord on the sides of my 18' enclosed trailer.
I too think it sets you apart from the goones with a truck and mower. I also pick and choose who i will work for, and having a sign on your truck has nothing to do with it.

Signs just make you look like a professional, and your work will speak for it's self.

· Registered
953 Posts
darryl

that G stands at attention because im always standing at attention.......lol it gets me work so thats all that matters to me

· Registered
629 Posts
I don't have a sign on the truck yet...
I have all the right insurance and all but just haven't had the time to design one and I'm afraid I'll get to much work as to where i can't handle it...
I'm back in college f/t to get a biz degree and i work a p/t job on the weekends.
But next spring decals all over the truck nice sign on back of ramp on trailer, Newspaper adds flyers going all out!!!!

BUt your right mtd... I feel like a scrub without the signs! But i do where collard lettered shirts and lettered jackets..

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.