Velocity Plus Cut issues

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
I set it at 3680-3700 wot, blades off. I end up with 3650 with blades on, sitting still and 3580-3620 under way with blades on on flat ground depending on soil and grass conditions.

JLH52

LawnSite Senior Member
I set it at 3680-3700 wot, blades off. I end up with 3650 with blades on, sitting still and 3580-3620 under way with blades on on flat ground depending on soil and grass conditions.
What kind of Tach do you have? Where do you have it mounted on mower?

Is your Tach continuously fluctuating as it displays the rpm's or does it show a steady reading?

My Tiny Tach mounted on mower control panel fluctuates. My Handheld Oppama PET-1100R tach also fluctuates.

Derwood

LawnSite Silver Member
Gosh I would never consider spending that much time on my rpms unless I was having a problem. Once I get her set, it’s like that QVC oven thingamajig from years ago: “Set it and forget it!” If I developed a cut issue or could hear/feel a significant drop, or some surging or whatever, that’s different. Of course I’d address it immediately. But I wouldn’t check the Rs daily, and certainly wouldn’t check em twice in a day. No way I got time for that. I’m so busy this year, that I’ve gone to cutting a couple accounts just before sun up, before my full time job, and then after work I’m back at it. I gotta wear an adult diaper cuz I gots no time to pee!!! I would argue that even if a person could feel the drop of a few Rs, that he couldn’t “show” where that happened on a property in terms of qoc. And I’d bet the farm NO customer would ever know the difference.

I would think the engine manufacturer has allowances/variances in their engines’ operation specs, that a few Rs lower/higher is acceptable (meaning it’s a non factor in terms of performance). AND that’s assuming one is using an accurate tach ….. and THEN assuming said user of that tach is using it correctly (I know. How can you screw up reading or using a tach right - it’s still a variable though).

Last edited:

sagesove

LawnSite Senior Member
View attachment 455353I finally got a decent image of the situation. This looks absolutely horrible and is why i need help resolving this

What???

Are you cutting at 2 inch depth or lower? That looks all kinds of messed up. The dealer better take the entire deck off and use a long level or straight edge to look at the deck side to side front to back. Also in the middle both ways too. Spindles and more to look at.

I would already have called Scag and got in touch with their engineering department as well. Get them in the loop as well as the dealer. Evidence is a key factor in your issues here. Keep mounting the evidence.

Should be interesting what the outcome is. Keep pounding them to get this figured out.

Scag if you're listening, you are on the hotseat. Everyone here wants to know what is going on. Don't muck it up!(like the sfc30)

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
What kind of Tach do you have? Where do you have it mounted on mower?

Is your Tach continuously fluctuating as it displays the rpm's or does it show a steady reading?

My Tiny Tach mounted on mower control panel fluctuates. My Handheld Oppama PET-1100R tach also fluctuates.
I got mine at Northern Toll several years ago. I can't recall the brnad right now. It wasn't their cheapest, not their most expensive, but it has a couple extra features on it,though I have never used them. I have it right by my throttle lever on the right side dash. Mine fluctuates a bit as well. I think they all do at least a little. If not, I wouldn't trust it because the engines all fluctuates a little.

JLH52

LawnSite Senior Member
I got mine at Northern Toll several years ago. I can't recall the brnad right now. It wasn't their cheapest, not their most expensive, but it has a couple extra features on it,though I have never used them. I have it right by my throttle lever on the right side dash. Mine fluctuates a bit as well. I think they all do at least a little. If not, I wouldn't trust it because the engines all fluctuates a little.
If you don’t mind, when you a time can you post a pic of where and how you have tach mounted?

OP
Stiehl_Landscaping

Stiehl_Landscaping

LawnSite Member
What???

Are you cutting at 2 inch depth or lower? That looks all kinds of messed up. The dealer better take the entire deck off and use a long level or straight edge to look at the deck side to side front to back. Also in the middle both ways too. Spindles and more to look at.

I would already have called Scag and got in touch with their engineering department as well. Get them in the loop as well as the dealer. Evidence is a key factor in your issues here. Keep mounting the evidence.

Should be interesting what the outcome is. Keep pounding them to get this figured out.

Scag if you're listening, you are on the hotseat. Everyone here wants to know what is going on. Don't muck it up!(like the sfc30)
That was cut at 3 1/4. I don't cut any lover than 2 3/4 in my area

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
If you don’t mind, when you a time can you post a pic of where and how you have tach mounted?
I'll try to but I am doubtful that's going to happen any time soon. We had severe winds come through last night and there's debrsi everywhere, trees down etc. That all comes first.

JLH52

LawnSite Senior Member
I'll try to but I am doubtful that's going to happen any time soon. We had severe winds come through last night and there's debrsi everywhere, trees down etc. That all comes first.
I know how the debris nightmare is having 10 acres of pines to try to keep the falling limbs picked up around perimeter.

The limbs never stop falling and the wind and storms only worsen the problem.

Top Forums